Problem with Metra 70-5519 and 03 install

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
All,
Bought the Metra 70-5519 for my 03 so I can install an aftermarket headunit. However, the small adapter with the RCAs coming out doesn't work. It is too big and the pins from the stock harness don't fit. What the hell is going on? Pictures to explain:

Back of radio:
n29p.jpg

Factory plugs:
eg8p.jpg

Plug that is causing me problems:
p7mt.jpg

2p9l.jpg

Piece that won't fit:
s6hg.jpg

l7iz.jpg

9ozz.jpg

See how it's too big? but I can't get the pins to line up. Help!

esonu

Established Member
on my 03 gt with the mach1000 i had to remove that red clip in the front of the factory harness and it went in like butter and then i took a zip tie to secure it lol

blacknbluecobra

Sprayed and Dismayed
Established Member
Let me know what harness you end up with. I've been to the stereo shop twice. The second harness doesn't have the rca adapter for the factory amp,but everything else worked

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I JUST installed a head unit with 5519 and it worked fine. I just had to wiggle it around to get the pins to slide in.

Last edited:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I just ordered the Scosche. I know it works as I have used it before and it's cheaper. I have tried on 5 different occasions to "wiggle" it around with no luck. I won't risk messing the pins up when I can just send it back and use the Scosche.

MADDOGsrfr81

Established Member
I have the 5519 in mine and no special work required. I would say everyone should use the afdi-5v i think. It is a part made by metra that prevents the pop when the radio turns on. Aftermarket radios use 12v turn ons voltage and fords use 5v.

sorry I could not be more help with the connect. I put mine in 6 months ago and it was a 15 min navigation install.

You can call metra's tech support line.....
1-800-221-0932 ext 2416

swiss-cobra

Established Member
I installed a aftermarket headunit with the Metra 70-5519 one hour ago... I had exactly the same Problem ==> the small adapter didn't fit :fm: it looked exactly the same...
I had to "bend" the pins just a little bit, wiggled it around, and voila, it worked. It doesn't fit perfect, but it works... :rolling:

tasmbierman

Established Member
you guys that got this to work.. Does your radio sound like crap now I know mine does ever since I switched...I will have to look up what brand wiring harness I used but out of the two that were mentioned here one of them was garbage and the other was a extremely tight fit... But it seems like I've lost sound quality with an aftermarket head unit

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
you guys that got this to work.. Does your radio sound like crap now I know mine does ever since I switched...I will have to look up what brand wiring harness I used but out of the two that were mentioned here one of them was garbage and the other was a extremely tight fit... But it seems like I've lost sound quality with an aftermarket head unit

This is my concern. The Metra and Scosche both had the same problem. I crammed the Scosche until it worked but I wonder if the connections are ok. Piss poor in my opinion.

swiss-cobra

Established Member
I use the Metra 70-5519. Well, at the Moment it doesn't Sound like crap, but mine doesn't Sound to good. In my opinion, the front speakers sound great, but the speakers in the back sound like crap. I guess the sub for the back speakers doesn't work! If I fade to the back speakers, i just hear the hights, no bass :-( any one has the same problem?
One other question: There are 3 factory plugs, but the Metra 70-5519 has just 2 plugs... how about the third factory plug, is it not used at all :shrug:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I use the Metra 70-5519. Well, at the Moment it doesn't Sound like crap, but mine doesn't Sound to good. In my opinion, the front speakers sound great, but the speakers in the back sound like crap. I guess the sub for the back speakers doesn't work! If I fade to the back speakers, i just hear the hights, no bass :-( any one has the same problem?
One other question: There are 3 factory plugs, but the Metra 70-5519 has just 2 plugs... how about the third factory plug, is it not used at all :shrug:

Yeah thats not used. It has something to do with the factory stereos speed sensitive volume or something. Also are you sure you wired up all the amps so they get powered?

swiss-cobra

Established Member
Yeah thats not used. It has something to do with the factory stereos speed sensitive volume or something. Also are you sure you wired up all the amps so they get powered?

Okay, good to know :) Because, if you look closely, on the third plug (on the radio), there is written "Amp"...
I hope that I wired up everything correcly :shrug: I wired up following wires:

Big plug
- red, yellow, black ==> Ignition, Battery, Ground
- Orange ==> Illumination for the Radio Buttons
- Gray, Gray Black ==> To the Radio front speaker right
- White, White Black ==> To the Radio front speaker left
- Violet, Violet Black ==> To the Radio rear speaker right
- green, green black ==> To the Radio rear speaker left

small plug
- Blue/White (2-wires soldered together) ==> To the Radio amp control
- black/White (2-wires soldered together) ==> To the Radio Ground
- red RCA ==> To the Radio red RCA (front right)
- White RCA ==> To the Radio White RCA (front left)

Is it correct that i soldered the 2 blue/White together?

So the front amp seams to work perfect, but the rear amp seams not working... Any idea what i have done wrong?
Julian

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Okay, good to know :) Because, if you look closely, on the third plug (on the radio), there is written "Amp"...
I hope that I wired up everything correcly :shrug: I wired up following wires:

Big plug
- red, yellow, black ==> Ignition, Battery, Ground
- Orange ==> Illumination for the Radio Buttons
- Gray, Gray Black ==> To the Radio front speaker right
- White, White Black ==> To the Radio front speaker left
- Violet, Violet Black ==> To the Radio rear speaker right
- green, green black ==> To the Radio rear speaker left

small plug
- Blue/White (2-wires soldered together) ==> To the Radio amp control
- black/White (2-wires soldered together) ==> To the Radio Ground
- red RCA ==> To the Radio red RCA (front right)
- White RCA ==> To the Radio White RCA (front left)

Is it correct that i soldered the 2 blue/White together?

So the front amp seams to work perfect, but the rear amp seams not working... Any idea what i have done wrong?
Julian

Sounds right to me. I wired the two blue/whites fromthe small harness into the radio amp power in the larger harness if i remember correctly.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Even with the Scosche the fit on the smaller plug is awful. I'll try to modify it but I am not happy with the shitty fit from both brands.

Last edited:

swiss-cobra

Established Member
Sounds right to me. I wired the two blue/whites fromthe small harness into the radio amp power in the larger harness if i remember correctly.

mhhh, I will have to check everything :shrug: strange, maybe contacts are not good....
if you fade all the way back to the rear speakers, how do they Sound?

swiss-cobra

Established Member
This is what I followed:

Stereo Install on Mustang

Sorry, tried to copy the Info but it didn't work!

Thanks for the link... I made it almost exactly the same way ==> I don't get that part: The RCA for the mach amps, should go into the middle set of inputs on the back of your head unit (if it has three sets...if not refer to your cd player's manual). Amp rca's should go in the bottom set, and if you have an EQ, then the RCA's from that should go in the top set.

How many RCA do you have on the Metra? I just got 2 RCA on the Metra and 2 on the Radio (front speaker left and right)...
I saw that one guy (link, second page, MY5thSTANG) has the exactly Problem, 2 RCA and doesn't get bass from the back...
thanks for your help!

03snkvert

Established Member
I think I had the same problem, and we had to move a wire around, but it was last year! I am going to be pulling the radio hear soon to Start putting in the New Amp and Speakers, if you don't have it solved I will try to get you some pics.

My buddy is a wiring Guru and he had it all wired up when we started.

It is -9 here this morning, so it is going to be a few days before I get out into the Garage to start working on my car.

swiss-cobra

Established Member
I think I had the same problem, and we had to move a wire around, but it was last year! I am going to be pulling the radio hear soon to Start putting in the New Amp and Speakers, if you don't have it solved I will try to get you some pics.

My buddy is a wiring Guru and he had it all wired up when we started.

It is -9 here this morning, so it is going to be a few days before I get out into the Garage to start working on my car.

That would be great if you could provide me some Pictures! -9, that's colder than in Switzerland... so just take your time ==> the radio works at the Moment (of course not perfect), and it's also winter over here :)

thanks in advance!

MADDOGsrfr81

Established Member
Check you aftermarket radio. In the Mach460 the second amp is considered a sub and you need to make sure in the radio setting you have the sub line on and adjusted. When I first installed mine I had sub off and only the tweeters worked.

It should just be a radio setting if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread