Problem installing CF Driveshaft on 2012 Shelby GT500

Canson

Established Member
Hi guys,

The shop here in Sweden had problem installing my new CF DSS Driveshaft that i bought from Americanmuscle.
He even showed me why he had problem installing.

The problem was the adapter that you use on rear differential with 6 bolts. The holes on adapter are not perfect to the holes on rear end (differential side).
We could only put 1 bolt,the other 5 bolts were impossible to use because of not matched holes.
Hard to explain with my bad English but i will show you some pictures so you can understand me better.

15pnb6e.jpg

288xrlv.jpg

1z2m34g.jpg

swemg5.jpg

Had anyone of you the same problem as me?
I contacted Amercianmuscle on email but still no answers after 2-3 days.
How long does it take to get an answer from them?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That adapter looks like the one I had to use with my Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber shaft. Based on your photo, I'd say it's not properly machined. I'd try sending them another e-mail. If I had a problem like this, I'd want them contacting me within 24 hours. If it is the Driveshaft Shop, I'd send them an e-mail as well. It's going to end up being a problem they have to correct.

Canson

Established Member
That adapter looks like the one I had to use with my Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber shaft. Based on your photo, I'd say it's not properly machined. I'd try sending them another e-mail. If I had a problem like this, I'd want them contacting me within 24 hours. If it is the Driveshaft Shop, I'd send them an e-mail as well. It's going to end up being a problem they have to correct.
Catmonkey thanks for the quick answer.
But the shop did install it the right way right? Just to be sure so I can contact Driveshaft shop on email too and tell them the problem I have.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

sleek98

Established Member
Agree with Catmonkey, you need a new adapter. It is installed correctly.

I just got done putting a new shaft in mine this week. That adapter was the hardest part to get all the threads lined up, but those look way off and likely a machining error.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Catmonkey thanks for the quick answer.
But the shop did install it the right way right? Just to be sure so I can contact Driveshaft shop on email too and tell them the problem I have.
As far as I can tell. However, that bolt they have in place should be flush or below the outer surface of the adapter. Perhaps they don't have it tightened.

Canson

Established Member
As far as I can tell. However, that bolt they have in place should be flush or below the outer surface of the adapter. Perhaps they don't have it tightened.
You are right, I was the one who put the bolt so I could take a picture. The bolt is not tightened.

However I contacted Driveshaft Shop and they replied after 5 min to my email. They asked my name and address so they could send me new adapter.

What a customer service

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I hate having to use those adapters. But it was definity machined wrong.

Canson

Established Member
Thanks guys

Normally it takes 2-3 to receive the shipment.

But I told them to send the adapter with express shipping.

Because of the weather here in Sweden I will leave my car in garage in about 2 weeks until April next year.

So I really need to install this Driveshaft and make sure everything works properly and no issues :)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You are right, I was the one who put the bolt so I could take a picture. The bolt is not tightened.

However I contacted Driveshaft Shop and they replied after 5 min to my email. They asked my name and address so they could send me new adapter.

What a customer service

Yep. From my experience, DSS customer service is top notch. Glad they're getting you squared away!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I was thinking of getting one, and knew Canson was ordering one as well (in another thread). Waiting to see how this turns out.

Canson

Established Member
Ok guys, i am back:)

I got the new adapter and let the shop install my CF driveshaft some days ago.
There was no problem with the installation. Everything went smooth. (The install guy needed help from another one to remove the old 2pc driveshaft because it was very heavy haha)

NO vibration or any weird Sound with the new Driveshaft. I think i had luck this time with fitment (Don't think they know or checked the pinion angle and that measurement 3.25-3.75 you guys talk about).
But anyway everything works nice. Was up to 120-130 mph on highway and no problems at all.

I will be honest with you guys, i don't see that much difference right now. (I dont drag race or track). The low speed uppshift 1-2,2-3 and downshift clunk still there but better.
One positive thing i noticed was the instant response car gave me when i was full on gas pedal. I mean because of the reducing rotating mass the car feels faster than before.
It feels like it got 1psi extra boost:)

But at least now i can change to VMP 2,5 pulley and a good Lund tune and dont have to worry about the driveshaft. Especially on higher speeds.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good deal I just ordered a DSS CF shaft with billet yoke to complete the Magnum XL conversion.
Glad to hear on their customer service.
I think the CF shaft is a great idea for your Autobahn speeds.
If any of you early GT500 guys are interested in a '13-14 complete (clutch, flywheel, trans, shifter, CF shaft) conversion PM me. Can't beat the 2.66 first, 0.50 sixth and CF shaft.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread