Probelems with cooling Fan Setup

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
I am currently experiencing weird issue from my cooling fan. I own a 96 mystic cobra coyote swap. The car's original fan is in place with the coyote control pack wired up to the fan. When the fan kicks on it must be pulling a massive amount of amperage because the vehicle bogs while driving with the initial hit of the fan turning on. I monitored it yesterday and found that my voltage is 13.5 when cruising without the fan on and it sits at 11.8 to 12.3 V with the fan on. Now I still have the factory 96 alternator that I am using with the swap so I don't know if the alternator is not up to the task and needs to be upgraded to higher amperage. Any inputs will help I am worried it may affect the performance of the car (horsepower wise) less voltage=less spark and less fuel pressure. Thanks.

pufferfish

Established Member
I had that fan do that same thing to me on my 95 gt. I replaced the fan and it went back to normal.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Sounds good thanks for the reply I will try that just wish shipping wasn't so much for the island. A 200 dollar fan turns into a 300 dollar fan. lol.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
this is off topic but do you happen to know how high your coolant temps get before the car begins to cool down? my coyotye swapped fox will go 225-230 before starting to cool back down to its running temp of 202-210.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
this is off topic but do you happen to know how high your coolant temps get before the car begins to cool down? my coyotye swapped fox will go 225-230 before starting to cool back down to its running temp of 202-210.
Ok so you should problaly should stop driving it, My fan comes on at 195 and it is usually only comes on after hard driving or at a stop light. During crusing it goes between 186 and 192. A couple things could be wrong one you could have air in the system, these coyote motor require to be bled the first time you put coolant in it. Also I found out moving to a hotter climate has a huge effect on the cooling system. I moved from virginia to hawaii and the coolant temps at a stop went to 210 and 200 crusing. Traded out about 2 1/2 gallons of 50/50 mixed coolant for distilled water, with water wetter, and presto the coolant temps drop signifigantly to 188 to 192 cruising and 195 when at a stop sign.

xtort

Established Member
How are you guys monitoring coolant temp? Using the inferred coolant temp as reported by a handheld, or by a gauge?

xtort

Established Member
Ah, ok. Did you bother to get your stock gauge working? If so, where did you put the sensor?

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Na

Ah, ok. Did you bother to get your stock gauge working? If so, where did you put the sensor?
the volt gauge, speedo, tach, and fuel level work. Oil pressure and coolant dont. Oil pressure is probally the only one i don't have that would be nice.

xtort

Established Member
the volt gauge, speedo, tach, and fuel level work. Oil pressure and coolant dont. Oil pressure is probally the only one i don't have that would be nice.

I'm not bothering with the oil pressure gauge since it's just a dummy light - I'm just going to replace the oil pressure sensor in the block (that the FRPP control pack apparently doesn't use) with the Innovate sensor for the dual oil pressure and temp gauge (can get it for about $150 on eBay). The Innovate gauge has alarms, which I'm a fan of.

I'll probably put a T in the coolant line and hook up the stock coolant sensor so I at least have some sort of coolant temp measurement - even though it's not accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread