Pro5.0 or Steeda shifter?

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to order a shifter as I just came back from sitting in an 03 again and can't seem to find the 2nd to 3rd shift without difficulty. I keep going from 2nd to 5th. Of course, this was me just shifting the shifter in the showroom with the car stationary; however, I want to get a short-throw shifter so I can shift the transmission confidently. I want the handle to be the exact same height as stock and the shift knob to fit perfectly; in addition, how much extra noise and vibration did the aftermarket shifter create?
Thanks.

FINICKY

Established Member
i have the steeda in mine and i like it. the handles height is adjustable so you can put it where you want it . as for the noise well its pretty noisy compared to stock but at least i can shift the dam thing allot better

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Have you guys driven mustangs before. The 2-3 shift is just a straight push. Don't try to go to the gate and find 3rd then you will probably go to 5th. That is the problem my wife was having when she tried to drive my car. I like the stock shifter and am not sure if I will change it or not. I had the steeda short shifter which was the pro 5.0 unit back then and find they are very similar.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
The stock shifter works great. Let it break in a little. I have yet to hit 5th on a 2nd to 3rd shift. Just shift straight up

Black Cobra

Established Member
If I was changing out my stock shifter...I'de have to go with the one that moved the knob back towards the driver the most.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I believe the tri-ax has the greatest angle back to the driver. I am 6'3" and the stock location is great for me with the seat all the way back.

Evilcartman

Established Member
I just installed a Tri-ax today. It is as nice as the one I had in my '93 with a Tremec. I prefer the Steeda over the Pro 5.0 (I had one of these also) because the handle is adjustable (Like mentioned) and there is a boot gaurd to keep the shifter boot out of the mechanism. I also believe that the Pro 5.0 leans forward more towards the dash in a '94 and up. I drove a '96 Cobra and smashed my hand between the dash and the shifter, to close.

If you decide on the Steeda, call Steeda and they will price match any article you find in MM&FF. Mine was normally $199 and they gave it to me for $180. Oh, and yes, the stock knob fits good on the shifter.

svt03

Established Member
I went with a steeda i love it it is just noisy. It is like night and day compared to the stock shifter. Go with a steeda:) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread