Pro tips on cold starting E85?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Braver than me. E85 is to volitale. If mines sitting I load the pump gas tune and put 92 in it. But this year It didn't sit for more than a few weeks.
Just curious, but where did you hear that? The only times I've ever heard of people switching to pump was because they didn't want to deal with moisture collecting in the tank during storage.

I ran a quick search that says otherwise. Whether or not it's right I don't know. Thankfully I don't have to store my car.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Vehicle Emissions

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Braver than me. E85 is to volitale. If mines sitting I load the pump gas tune and put 92 in it. But this year It didn't sit for more than a few weeks.
I did a lot of reading up on E85 storage and got answers and opinions all over the place. Have not seen any hard proof that E85 hurt's your fuel system if stored for a few months. I'm running ptfe lines, and a stainless mesh filter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
I did a lot of reading up on E85 storage and got answers and opinions all over the place. Have not seen any hard proof that E85 hurt's your fuel system if stored for a few months. I'm running ptfe lines, and a stainless mesh filter.

So am I. E85 traps moisture.

I never said you were wrong. Just braver than me. Swapping to 92 takes maybe 10 minutes.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup. Fill up the tank, add Lucas E85 fuelstabilizer, no issues.

I run e85 exclusively in my Mustang, my old DSM, and my turbo RZR. They all routinely sit for months at a time. Never any issues with the mustang or DSM, but the RZR can give me a fit once in a while not wanting to start. A quick shot of starting fluid and it lights right off.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I have been purely on ethanol for 2 years and my car has sat for months with no issues. I do run the Lucas stabilizer, not sure if it makes a difference but it seems to work for me.

As for cold starts I have no issues when I am on pump ethanol but when I have the car on One Ethanol R the car is a pain to start when cold. As someone mentioned above this could be from the pump ethanol content. Here we see around 75% from the pump and the One Ethanol is closer to 90% I believe.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
E85 by law can be as low as 53% (they use this in colder climates to assist with cold start). Here in SE Houston its 87% all year.

I just filled up today, the car had been sitting since Christmas. No issues at all. I've been running E85 since 2012. The fuel filter (cellulose) looks brand new every year I change it. TR6s immaculate. I stopped losing sleep over ethanol many years ago. Now E10 gas that I store for the lawn mower and weed wacker?....now that crap worries me. Goes bad fast.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
E85 by law can be as low as 53% (they use this in colder climates to assist with cold start). Here in SE Houston its 87% all year.

I just filled up today, the car had been sitting since Christmas. No issues at all. I've been running E85 since 2012. The fuel filter (cellulose) looks brand new every year I change it. TR6s immaculate. I stopped losing sleep over ethanol many years ago. Now E10 gas that I store for the lawn mower and weed wacker?....now that crap worries me. Goes bad fast.

I have several gas cans I bring to work with me every few weeks so I can stop at the Texas City Buccees on my lunch break and fill with their ethanol-free gas. Use it in all of the small engines.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I have several gas cans I bring to work with me every few weeks so I can stop at the Texas City Buccees on my lunch break and fill with their ethanol-free gas. Use it in all of the small engines.
I mix up a bit of Seafoam in my lawn gas cans. I leave the gas in my power tools for many months and everything starts right up. Love Seafoam lol

Users who are viewing this thread