Pro racer question with advantage 3

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Hey guys, what do I need to change in my tune so that I don't get P0443 and P0453 codes. This is in a 98 cobra. I deleted the EGR valve, smog pump, valve on front drivers side of motor, and all lines/sensors associated with them. Those are the only codes that I am getting now and have no idea what to change to turn them off. In the "EGR Type switch" I changed the value from 1 to 2, which says that it will disable the EGR system. Any help would be appreciated. :beer:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Those are both evap codes. You can go under misc I think it is and turn off the code itself so it'll never pop up. But it would probably be better to turn off the evap in your tune. If that's possible. I still have my evap connected and working.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
What sensor would cause those codes to come up though? I got rid of the egr sensor on the drivers side of the manifold and the sensor connecting right by the air injection valve on the drivers side in front of the engine. I currently have the connectors just wrapped up and sensors disconnected, but I have also tried connecting the sensors and just capping the vacuum ports but that didn't work.

There's no vacuum leaks, car runs great, just don't want a cel on. If I can't get these codes out, I'm probably just going to put it all back on... it just looks SOOOO much better without it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The evap has to do with the gas tank. It controls the evaporative emissions from the gas. You might have removed part of it when you pulled everything off. You can turn the codes off in the tune so you won't get a light for them.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
The evap has to do with the gas tank. It controls the evaporative emissions from the gas. You might have removed part of it when you pulled everything off. You can turn the codes off in the tune so you won't get a light for them.

I don't necessarily want to turn them off, I would like to know why the codes are coming up. I checked the evaporation system and lines and everything looks good. I went through and tugged on the line coming from the tank... it was snug. Then examined the charcoal canister, all good there. Replaced some hose going to the canister purge, looks good there. The purge flow sensor looks in tact, and from there, it goes to the manifold. I believe that's the whole system. I just don't see what I'm missing??? :shrug:
Xcal3 explanation of codes:

P0443: evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit.
P0453: evaporative emission system pressure sensor/switch high input.

You think those two things could of just cropped out on me at that same time? Kinda wierd.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you checked the fuses? You might have blown one of them. If those are ok then it's probably just coincidence that it went out while you were doing everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread