Pro-Racer Package Roll Call

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Who does their own tuning with an SCT PRP or other product? I have the PRP for my L, but haven't really played with it that much.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Same here, I have it, but fortunately havent been forced to play with it much yet. Its a great program and one day when I go E85 Im sure Ill be glad I have it. :beer:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I had it on my Cobra only cuz it was free when I loaned them my car for development.

They tuned it but I tweaked it a little. Not enough to learn really.

HotStart

Fastest Stock Daytona
Established Member
I tune my 2001 GT using the SCT advantage III, I've tuned other mustangs using TwEECer software previously, and I have a little experience playing with with other platforms (EFI pro,dsmlink,EFI live etc...). It's good to see a tuning specific forum around here now.

DOHCTER

Shop Smart.. Shop S-Mart
Established Member
I use the PRP software for my cobra, its so nice to use. Ive used eec tuner, moates, FAST, and sct. Hands down the SCT stuff wins.

harvboi05

Established Member
i used PRP after having used some obd0 honda stuff, and limited experience with AEM EMS. I was very happy with how easy it was to calibrate and deal with the interfaces.

portcity_gt

Established Member
i looked at that system but ended up buying a big stuff 3, and have tuned my turbo car from scratch. its a pretty awesome system!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I picked up the PRP after not being happy with the results of two tuners. It's been nice to make whatever tweak I want and not have to pay for it. I will admit to having the WOT done recently by a pro, but he used my tune and just had to tweak it a little.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
i do all my datalogging with my SCT

i have tried a couple other tuners aswell and so far i like SCT the best

i started out with a Sniper Delta Force kit...i absolutely hated it! it was aweful

then i got a diablosport, it was nice then i sold it to a friend for more than what i paid for it

then i picked up an SCT Xcal3 and software for it, i have been datalogging and playing around with stuff ever since

only thing i seem to be having trouble with currently is my transmission shift points :(

chrisheltra

Established Member
did you need a dyno to tune or did you use datalogging?

You can easily to either but I did datalogging on the street. Its not as safe as doing dyno tuning but much more accurate as far as load is concerned.

then i got a diablosport, it was nice then i sold it to a friend for more than what i paid for it

Glad your not my friend. :nonono:

The Red Monster

COP SWAP harness guy
Established Member
I used a laptop with AFR gauge and multiple gauges tied in to make tuning easier. Started rich then started to lean out to 11:1. Then carefully played with timing.

We are making the tune for the D1 Procharger with sullivan manifold and built lower right now. Just take your time and learn along the way. Key phrase.

BABY STEPS

01bluesnake

Established Member
Have the PRP on my '01, and it's really nice to be able to change things around, and play with the settings on my auto 4R70 without having to call or go to a tuner. I was use to tuning a few systems, so this wasn't hard at all once you get use to the system.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
You can easily to either but I did datalogging on the street. Its not as safe as doing dyno tuning but much more accurate as far as load is concerned.

soooo if i have the PRP, and a wide band and take my time, i should be able to bypass using a tuner shop?

btw i have the sct x3 currently

chrisheltra

Established Member
soooo if i have the PRP, and a wide band and take my time, i should be able to bypass using a tuner shop?

btw i have the sct x3 currently

Yes. It will take some time to learn the PRP though. You can make your tune from scratch or do like some people do and get an open base tune thats modifiable from a tuner they trust thats made for their mods and go from there.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
i think this is the way i should go. the tuners in my area act like they are god...blow you of, talk down on you and in a lot of cases just say no. must be nice to have a skill that affords you turning down jobs at will in this economy...

01bluesnake

Established Member
i think this is the way i should go. the tuners in my area act like they are god...blow you of, talk down on you and in a lot of cases just say no. must be nice to have a skill that affords you turning down jobs at will in this economy...

Tuning prices to me have gotten a little out of hand. With the sct software, you can not upload a tune off the hand held and sell it, only the originally written tune from the computer as long as the tuner gives you a copy, so it's not like you are selling their tune to multiple people. that is something i have never or will plan to do though. For me, an hour or two of someones time, i cannot see $400-500 reasonable, then you have to pay all over with every little change maybe $2-300 for 45 mins or so. They have a skill, which i will not deny, but in the end if you tune and blow up your car or they do, you are out of luck not them as you sign a waiver in case your car does blow. Not every tuner is that good either, everyone has their own little skill depending on what they tune. I had a issue with my car trying to get tuned with the built auto 4r70 as it is still controlled through the pcm, so i am on my with own that and have gotten it pretty straightened out. Some tuners can also tune wot great and make good power, but daily driving is not the best. Just some stuff IMO. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread