Pro-commuter? My budget 5sp swapped Crown Vic

andymarkv

Established Member
Thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this...
After getting tired of only driving my TVS '07 GT500 800 miles a year, I wanted something that I wouldn't care too much about, comfortable on my 300 mile weekly commute and not boring.
After watching a maniac on youtube having a blast tearing around in his manual swapped CV, I had a new plan! (That maniac's name is Pier and he makes the pedal kit that is in my car)

After a TON of searching...I came up with this. 2002 Crown Vic Sport, 159,000mi, two owners, no winters, $2800 bucks. (I had to keep the initial cost really low to try and stay within my total budget of $6K)
The Sport is cool because it is one of the few Panther platform cars to come with center console and floor shifter.

IMG_0793.jpg

It was definitely treated much nicer than a P71 cop car...but unfortunately it is one year too old to get the good front suspension, stiffer frame and rack & pinion.
I did a few mild bolt-ons, mufflers/resonator delete with JY SN95 tailpipes/JLT intake/E350 70mm TB/ported upper plenum/Marty 93 tune from Mo's Speed shop/eBay rebuilt trac-lok/junkyard 3.73's/CHE UCA&LCA/Jmodded the trans/21mm rear swaybar/P71 shocks
That helped...but it was still pretty boring... So I got serious about the manual swap.
The swap is relatively simple...it is all just new edge GT stuff.
I found Pier over on crownvic.net and bought one of his pedal swap kits
IMG_0908.jpg

I would say the hardest part was really trying to get the clutch cable in the best location to reduce cable pull resistance...After having a bunch of hydraulic clutch cars & trucks over the years...cable clutches suck!
IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.jpg

The shifter was too far forward to fit in the console opening...so I just cut some aluminum to space it back and used a S197 shifter boot to fill the hole.
IMG_1584.JPG

I've been rocking it back & forth to work for a few weeks now and its a blast! Definitely NOT fast, but it feels faster than it is and make good noises.
I used an '04 TR3650 with the 0.62 overdrive and it is turning 2100rpm @ 75mph which is about perfect!
This thing EATS UP HIGHWAY like nobody's business!
I missed my $6K budget by about $1500...but thats how these things go.
I do have a staggered tire setup...but not in the traditional way. I have stock sized 235/55/17's up front and 225/60/17's on the rear.
My plan for this car was to hurt tires on a regular basis....but even with the rear 225's, being underpowered and SOOOOooooo heavy...you have to be pretty abusive with the clutch dump to get much action. Oh well!
Here is how it sits today after a quick clean up and repaint of the stock wheels. It is very clean, but very stock looking. I'm on the fence about putting different wheels on it. (was thinking about gloss black 18" terminator replicas)
IMG_1826 (1).PNG
IMG_1828.PNG
IMG_1825.PNG
IMG_1816.jpg
IMG_1824.JPG

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
very nice she looks just like my marauder

the marauder is underpowered too but i still find pleasure in doing wot pulls in her numerous times daily she just doesnt go anywhere lol

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks damn near factory in the last few pics.

Am i reading it right, you have 235's up front and 225's out back? Wouldnt you want the wider set in the rear? Throw some 255's on all 4 and make it handle!

andymarkv

Established Member
Am i reading it right, you have 235's up front and 225's out back? Wouldnt you want the wider set in the rear?
Typically, YES! Apparently I've been watching too much Cleetus McFarland and thought burnouts in a CV would be fun. But with around 250hp on tap...traction...is never an issue, no matter the size of the rear tires.
I've considered trying to autocross it, there is a larger course coming on the schedule in August.
I believe I've done ALL the easy PI 2V 4.6 power mods. There really isn't any value in a car like this, so forced induction would be a waste of money. Its performance is OK for its purpose. Probably 14.9-15.0 @ 92mph?

Morgan

Established Member
Really REALLY needs a bottle. 150 shot would be perfect.

andymarkv

Established Member
Thanks guys!! I am loving it!
I was a little concerned when putting it together that it wouldn't meet my expectations, but it does.
I would definitely recommend it!

Surprisingly, I just checked today and its knocking down 23.5mpg. Not too shabby! All highway miles, at 75mph and plenty of WOT through the gears on every entrance ramp.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I thought the consensus on crownvic.net was the steering box cars are better to drive than rack&pinion

What did the swap cost to do?

andymarkv

Established Member
Interesting...I always thought the rack cars were way better for handling...
It may just be my 160K mile steering box is worn. But I SCORED a 70K box from a 2000 HPP (handling performance package) car in the junkyard for 30 bucks. I just need to make time to install it.

As far as cost.....I didn't keep track toooo closely but here is a run down of the big ticket items.
Used 70K '04 TR3650 $700 (supposed to have best syncro's and 0.62 overdrive)
Used manual engine block plate $10
Used Pro 5.0 shifter $50
Conversion pedals $350
FRPP Speedometer calibrator $150 (not needed on '03+ cars)
Amazon "dynomat" $30
Motorcraft synthetic trans fluid $50
Rear main seal/flywheel & clutch bolts $60
China flywheel $110 (I should have got a higher quality one, I have some chatter)
McLeod 11" street clutch $220
Motorcraft new edge clutch cable $90
Firewall adjuster & quadrant $60
Driveshaft slip yoke $120
Manual swap Tune $250
So around $2250, I'm sure I forgot some stuff.

Also....the mild mods I did ended up costing some coin...
JY 80mm MAF housing $10
JY 70mm TB $30
JLT intake $95 (basically a heat shield, filter & MAF adapter, I asked them to make it for 80mm instead of stock 70mm)
CHE upper & lower control arms $330
Cherry Bomb 2" angled glass packs $50
Summit Racing stainless 2" band clamps $32
JY SN95 GT stainless tailpipes $10
JY 21mm rear sway bar $18
JY 8.8 3.73's from Explorer $35
eBay 28 spline rebuilt trac-lok $300
Around $910 from what I can remember.

This isn't counting a bunch of maintenance parts that any car with 160K will need.
Soooo... $2800 for the car, $910 for mods, $2250 for trans swap = $5960 not counting maintenance parts and other things I just forgot.

Like 90% of projects, you do it because you want it that way! Residual value only comes up when you decide to sell it. I imagine I will keep this 2-3 years and move on to something else FACTORY manual!
Although...the way the trend is moving...the manual trans maybe completely dead in the next 5 years if the new GT500 and Corvette are showing us the trend.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I thought the consensus on crownvic.net was the steering box cars are better to drive than rack&pinion

What did the swap cost to do?

Not sure where you heard that one, the -02 chassis is junk compared to the 03+. The -02 chassis shares some components with other fords going back to the early 60's, all they did in the late 70's was take the current full size platform and scale it back into the panther platform.

The 03+ was a very large redesign, very few components from a 03+ fit a -02 car.

Users who are viewing this thread