pro 5.0 stop bolt adjustment

smith876

Established Member
First time aftermarket shifter install here and had a few questions on the stop bolt adjustment.

Currently I have the rear stop bolt set so that when I am agressively shifting to 2, 4, or 6 you can her the handle hit the stop bolt. Just a light clank/tink sound. Even after it is in gear, I can pull down a fraction of a milimeter on the shifter and get it to repeat the click/clank sound.

But the forward stop bolt is adjusted a little differently. I can not get the handle under normal operation to hit the stop bolt. I have to REALLY push hard to get it to hit the stop bolt, and even then it barely makes a noise

So my question: what is the appropriate adjustment of the stop bolts? Or is it strictly personal preference???

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't know about the Pro 5.0, but the TriAx stop bolt is set so that the shift level just barely touches the stop bolt, but when you let it go it should not touch the bolt. By the way, our trannies have internal stops as well, so the externals are not really critical. Get this info verified, though.

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
I set it so under normal driving the movement of the arm won't hit the bolt, but if you apply any more movement or preesure it sits on the bolt.... When shifting you get that clank. I love that clank... Screw the internal stops, these are much better. I don't like taking chances. However, there is stii no reason you should be shifting so hard. I've had friends break shift knobs and shifter handles. Bang it fast, not hard!

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
The T56 has internal stops. I'd back your bolts out a little more, because:

1) They aren't really needed

2) You'll wish you had if that bolt ever prevents you from getting into a gear

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Road Racin'
I set it so under normal driving the movement of the arm won't hit the bolt, but if you apply any more movement or preesure it sits on the bolt.... When shifting you get that clank. I love that clank... Screw the internal stops, these are much better. I don't like taking chances. However, there is stii no reason you should be shifting so hard. I've had friends break shift knobs and shifter handles. Bang it fast, not hard!
Either one you rely on they're both going to do the job. I've yet to hear of one tranny failure due to an issue with the internal stops. What "chances" do you feel you're taking by using the internal stops?

RJCobra

Established Member
From Tremec...

In response to my questions:

Yes the T56 has internal stops and does not need the stops that come on
aftermarket shifters. Both Hurst and Steeda have excellent shifters.

Jon A. Vieth
Product Line Manager

Users who are viewing this thread