Pro 5.0 shifter

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 shifter and i know i am probably the only one that has said this but i really do not care for it,the shifts are much shorter and it is very noisey compared to the stock shifter.I really do not care for the straight up handle either,my knuckles are very close to the dash in 1st&3rd gear.Now for the worst part,i went to the track the other night with Haveight and found myself shifting from 3rd back into 2nd 4 times that night(driver error)at over 100mph each time(very scary)i kept missing 4th gear everytime and going into 2nd and i was not happy.Obviously it was my faught but the throws are very close,not much margin for error as this never happened with my stock shifter.My stops are set perfect by the way,i am just wondering if a steeda tri-ax handle or a longer handle would help my problem going into 4th at w.o.t.I have no problem finding 4th just driving normal,just when i am banging the gears at w.o.t. is where i have trouble with this shifter!

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003snake

What exactly does that blue handle do?What are the advantages? (over the stock 5.0)

J.
The blue one is by MGW and is adjustable. Postban posted about this the other day. That's where I linked the pics from.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
If I remember correctly it has 33% shorter throws than the stock unit.

The exact throw distance difference is 1/4", yes that is right one quarter of an inch. I very carefully measured the distance from the center of the radio ON button to the center of the stock shift knob in every gear before I removed the stock unit.

When stock the position of 1st was 3-1/8" from the button. With the MGW/PRO 5.0 1st is 4-3/8" from the button. 2nd gear stock was 7-9/16" while MGW/PRO 5.0 is 8-9/16". There is maybe 1/8" difference tighter left/right to the MGW/PRO 5.0 combo in the higher gears from the stock positions.

The MGW handle can make another 3/4" rearward ajdustment, I did just so on the maiden trip 'round-the-block' to test my install. It was too low, I was slapping 2nd down instead of pulling it back, 3rd had to be lifted instead of pushed forward. I have it adjusted to max height and max left rotation and the reach is so accomodating, I recommend it highly!

All the gears click right into place now. No more hunting for the gears, they are right where they should be, waiting to be stabbed into:lol1:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
I have a pro 5.0 shifter and i know i am probably the only one that has said this but i really do not care for it,the shifts are much shorter and it is very noisey compared to the stock shifter.I really do not care for the straight up handle either,my knuckles are very close to the dash in 1st&3rd gear.Now for the worst part,i went to the track the other night with Haveight and found myself shifting from 3rd back into 2nd 4 times that night(driver error)at over 100mph each time(very scary)i kept missing 4th gear everytime and going into 2nd and i was not happy.Obviously it was my faught but the throws are very close,not much margin for error as this never happened with my stock shifter.My stops are set perfect by the way,i am just wondering if a steeda tri-ax handle or a longer handle would help my problem going into 4th at w.o.t.I have no problem finding 4th just driving normal,just when i am banging the gears at w.o.t. is where i have trouble with this shifter!

I have the pro 5.0, but I am using it with the stock handle. Pro 5.0 has bushings available for this purpose. I works out pretty slick. I, too have done the 3-2 shift, NOT FUN!, twice. I really concentrate now on pulling tho the right and back... whew .

JT

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
JT,
Thanks for your input on this,i am glad i am not the only one who has done this!:eek: I have a question for you by installing the stock handle on your 5.0 did it make much of a difference than the shorter upright handle as far as shifting goes.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The problem with saying that a shifter is 33% shorter throw then stock unit which model are they comparing? They can say that there shifter is 33% shorter throw then the stock 84 mustang shifter well the factory 03 Cobra shifter is over 40% shorter throw then that shifter. I hate marketing crap, but here is an article you should review before you buy a shifter.
http://www.steeda.com/shifter_info.htm

postban that was a great idea. I just went out to see how my tri-ax compared and was as accurate as possible to how you explained how you did your analysis. This is what I have.
1-2 3/4"
2-6 7/16"
3-2 13/16"
4-6 15/32"
5-2 15/16"
6-6 17/32"
R-3 1/8"

From this I calculate on average my throw are approximately 0.7916 " shorter then stock on opposing gears.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Highroller,
When I picked up my Pro 50 from my buddy Bob Hanlon (at Hanlon Motorsports, Free Plug Bob, who I have known for 20+years) he said, here use these bushings, you won't like the standard Pro 50 handle (he didn't have the new '03 specific Pro 50 handle). Sure enough, I couldn't really reach 3rd, so I put the stock handle on from the get go.

As far as the throw length goes, I don't think you can change it much in the actual mechanism. I think in the advertisements anyway, they are always counting the shorter handle length.
JT

Last edited:

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Will a Steeda tri-ax handle bolt on to our stock shifter in our Cobra,i might just go that route for now until i get the feel for 4th gear when powershifting.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Will a Steeda tri-ax handle bolt on to our stock shifter in our Cobra,i might just go that route for now until i get the feel for 4th gear when powershifting.

Yes. It is 34.95 from Steeda, but if you tell them you are a SVTOA member which we all are you receive 10% off all Steeda branded parts. If you are thinking about doing that I would take a look at the MGW handle it is also $35.00. Postban and some others have it and swear by it and it is adjustable. btw I would be careful powershifting after removing all the isolators on the stock handle without a shifter base with stop, but that is just my opinion.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 shifter and i know i am probably the only one that has said this but i really do not care for it,the shifts are much shorter and it is very noisey compared to the stock shifter. ...snip...

Noisy?

Did you reinstall the shifter seal flange with the modified rubber seal?

I notice virtually no difference in shifter sound except for the ~ClicK~ each gear makes when selected.

Could you describe the noise more specifically, maybe I am missing it?

fd526699.jpg

Reinstall the shifter seal flange. Be sure to cut out the center ring on the rubber seal.

fd52660b.jpg

The seal should fit snugly around the shifter body.

Last edited:

[sky]03cobra

Established Member
thx for all the info and esp to postban for the pics... I just got through installing the pro 5.0 and mgw handle and I'm very pleased. I took it out for a test drive, and the throws seem much more shorter and the shifts were alot more solid. I wasnt even power shifting too hard, and I noticed that the shifts were really raising up the front end :)

One ? is the stops for the shifter. They said to back them off one full turn. This looked to be around an 1/8" distance between the shifter and the stop. I just wanted to make sure that I dont screw up the tranny doing some harder shifting... thx
sky

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Steeda Tri - Ax handle is win.

Pro 5.0 + Steeda Tri Ax = wonderful shifting

3 to 2 instead of 4?? Never.

Noise will be higher than stock unless you graft or place some rubber on the handle. Notice it on your stock unit. It dampens vibration and noise.

Personally it isn't enough noise to worry about for me considering how great the car shifts with Pro 5.0.

I've done a Pro 5.0 on my '01 GT, a Steeda Tri Ax on my roommates '01 GT and now a Pro 5.0 on my '03.

Pro 5.0 with Tri Ax handle is win.

:-D

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Does the 5.0 shifter shorten the throw between gears?

You may be in for a dissapointment. The throw is not that much shorter for the '03.

> my knuckles are very close to the dash in 1st&3rd gear.

I upshift with the heel of my palm so my fingers are always getting jammed on the dash.

> it is very noisey compared to the stock shifter.

Not noise, but a reassuring clunk.

> mgw handle and I'm very pleased.

Be sure to Loctite the threads that hold the MGW telescoping handle in place. They will back out with hard shifting.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Here are some pics I took the last time this topic came up. BTW, I am using the Pro 5.0 shifter with the Tri-Ax Handle. I'm happy. The Pro5.0 was way too short and close to the dash. The Tri-Ax moves it back and away quite a bit. Not as much as the stock handle, I don't think though. As for that 3 to 4 shift, you gotta let the shifter do the work. It will put itself into 4th for you, if you let it.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread