Pro- 5.0 shifter/ Anybody installed one yet?

nsreed

Established Member
From SouthFlorida Pulley HQ -The only place to shop!

I got my shifter from Terry Reals at SouthFlorida Pulley Headquarters. Also where I got my 2.92 pulley, Gatorback Belt, NGK plugs & flip chip. Terry is a rare find. He knows what he is talking about and provides EXCELLENT service, tech info and shipping. Plus he has LOTS of stuff for our Cobras with more coming. Heck, if I could, I would buy my groceries from him!!!!
Check his web site for info on the PRO-5.0 shifter

www.southfloridapulleyhq.com

I ordered it Tuesday, got it Thursday

silvercoffin

Established Member
went to pro 5.0

I went to pro5.0 in Kenelsworth NJ....i think thats where I was. Got there at 5:30 cause of the wonderful traffic here in NJ it took me 1 1/2 to make the 45 min drive

I just caught the guy that was closing up and I just got their last pro 5.0 for the 03 cobra! well last one they had in stock!

Havent installed it yet though.

nsreed

Established Member
SnakeEyes87

My shifter is marked right on the base: T56- 6 speed. You may want to check where you ordered it and make sure it is the 6 speed unit.

robb

pro 5.0 shifter

easy install---remove plastic surround - pull straight back at top &
release cig. lighter plug, unbolt shifter handle & leave knob/handle/boot assem. together, remove (4-8mm bolts) on inner rubber assem.& remove, unbolt 4 12-13 mm bolts & remove stock shifter(can leave small rubber in place),[may see trans. fluid in shifter housing & that's O.K.-kind of like an overflow reservoir sys.], clean off old rubber sealant and reapply new rtv.sil. rubber sealant, apply a small amount of white lithium grease on the new shifter ball ( DO NOT USE MOLY GREASE!), install new shifter with new bolts(13 mm socket), cut large rubber boot assm. to template as shown & reassemb., adjust overtravel stop bolts(see kit instructions), using adapter bushings that should be in the kit -attach old handle with new allen bolts,snap plastic surround in place and have fun.

nsreed

Established Member
Thanks Robm

Thank you very much for the tips!!!!

The actual installation looks very easy. I have not had much time today to mess with it. I started to take the shift knob off as I want to re-use it on the PRO-50. I can't get it to move and I don't want to mark it up. Does it simply uncsrew off the stock shifter shaft?? I could not see any type of lock nut or set screw holding it in position? Any suggestions?? You also mentioned adapter bushings for the shifter that should be in my kit. I didn't receive any. Is that a problem?
NSR:)

Last edited:

nsreed

Established Member
GOT it

Ok
The knob did unscrew. 5 minutes later the old shifter is out. Man what a piece of s__t the stock shifter is compared to the PRO5.0
Just about to make the final adjustments and take it for a spin.
Thanks for all your help!

PS. All buttoned up and I am totally happy with the new shifter. Shorter, more precise throw and something that will LAST with the power the car has!
Thanks Terry.... SouthFlorida Pulley HQ RULES!!!!!
Ned:beer:

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Installed mine last Saturday and am so happy I did not go with the Steeda, way to noisy

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Is the 5.0 shifter noisier than stock?? Had a hurst in my 89 GT and hated the feedback. Would like short throws w/o the noise. :beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member
pro 5.0

got mine for $189 from the pro 5.0 shop but then they charged me $35 for an extra handle hehehehe guess they got me there!

What is this handle I'm hearing about that people are putting on their stock shifter?

I want a handle that brings the shifter back towards me alittle thats why i bought the mid length handle for the pro 5.0 and the adapters so you can use your stock handle too.

lifter213

Established Member
I recommend putting the Steeda Tri-ax handle on the 5.0 shifter. In my GT now i got the Pro 5.0 shifter but i didnt like to reach for the upper gears so i got a Steeda Tri-ax handle and put on there. Same length of handles when i compared them side by side, the Tri-ax just tilts more towards the driver.

I was just going to get the Steeda Tri-ax shifter in my Cobra but after hearing complaints about noise i'm going to just get the 5.0 and buy the Steeda handle.

Users who are viewing this thread