Prey (Predator 5)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My issue is that the premise of the movie is great, but the ship made a hard left turn (pun intended) into the beach.

So if I won't watch Prey twice, why watch it at all?

I watched Tombstone last night for about the 100th time. No gay relationships thrown in for "rEpReSEntaTion", or Doc Holiday cast as a angry lesbian. Just a great movie.

Geez I hate these times.

E
Easy answer for that question. A LOT of people only watch a movie once, even if it was a great one. Me included. I even have a couple of 4K UltraHD videos that I bought thinking I would surely watch the movie more than once, but so far it didn't happen. I'd say maybe 50% of the "great" movies that I watch, I only watch once, for various reasons.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I don't think there's really any "wokeness" in this movie. Just because there's a female lead doesn't automatically make it woke. Are Alien 1/2 or Terminator 1/2 woke?

Yes, the lead's hunting/tracking skills increased at a greater rate than expected (I think this movie takes place over like 2-3 days?) but that is any movie with a hero journey. And she's not doing anything a woman technically couldn't do; she's never really going toe-to-toe with this 7 foot monster or exhibiting unnatural strength; she's using superior stealth skills in her home environment.

It definitely could be a better movie, and I did say I'd prefer more badass Comanche warriors, but this isn't woke just because there's a lady in it. This isn't something stupid like Oceans 8 or that Ghostbuster reboot embarrassment.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Totally forgot i met this chick a couple years ago at an awards banquet. Cast of Mayans was there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blk02edge

Established Member
I don't think there's really any "wokeness" in this movie. Just because there's a female lead doesn't automatically make it woke. Are Alien 1/2 or Terminator 1/2 woke?

Yes, the lead's hunting/tracking skills increased at a greater rate than expected (I think this movie takes place over like 2-3 days?) but that is any movie with a hero journey. And she's not doing anything a woman technically couldn't do; she's never really going toe-to-toe with this 7 foot monster or exhibiting unnatural strength; she's using superior stealth skills in her home environment.

It definitely could be a better movie, and I did say I'd prefer more badass Comanche warriors, but this isn't woke just because there's a lady in it. This isn't something stupid like Oceans 8 or that Ghostbuster reboot embarrassment.
I actually agree, I thought it was a good movie and the girl did well utilizing what she could. Typical Hollywood speeding up the storyline where she gains her skills, happens in pretty much all movies man or woman.

Defknotzero

Established Member

thank-you-substitute-teacher.gif

SVTFastBack

Established Member
I still don't understand how people keep comparing it to the "original" and putting this bs next to it like the second one didn't exist. That MFer was 20x more vicious than the original and think it was best and a proper predator film. Prey well.. was decent, that is all, and it's still only the Bishop on a chess board, headed in a direction but avoiding the right one.

C0bra99

Established Member

Actually I disagree

1)As noted a 125# female taking on a predator one on one is a little over the top. When Dutch tried he got his ass kicked and was almost beaten to death.
2)If we are trying to stay true to history the "tribe" wouldn't of let a "Female" be a warrior.
3) See how the trappers were framed as dirty unsophisticated baboons, so when the predator took them out it was easy for the audience since they were portrayed as such. Not taking into account about the race either

Some of the stuff I enjoyed
1)I was told this was the first Predator to visit earth. Not sure but it makes sense on some of the interactions with the predatory animals.
2)Damage to the Predator. this seem more realistic (The issue I had was the Rambo style)Just go in and kick ass! where is the thrill of the hunt?

Things I didn't like
1) noted above about the "Message"
2)About half way thru they started to dumb down the Predator to make it more of an even playing field for the climax. The end was stupid and like I said made the Predator look like a f'n idiot.
3)Adding in the lore with flint lock just to tie it in. Feeble attempt to include it to the 2nd movie

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Actually I disagree

1)As noted a 125# female taking on a predator one on one is a little over the top. When Dutch tried he got his ass kicked and was almost beaten to death.
2)If we are trying to stay true to history the "tribe" wouldn't of let a "Female" be a warrior.
3) See how the trappers were framed as dirty unsophisticated baboons, so when the predator took them out it was easy for the audience since they were portrayed as such. Not taking into account about the race either

Some of the stuff I enjoyed
1)I was told this was the first Predator to visit earth. Not sure but it makes sense on some of the interactions with the predatory animals.
2)Damage to the Predator. this seem more realistic (The issue I had was the Rambo style)Just go in and kick ass! where is the thrill of the hunt?

Things I didn't like
1) noted above about the "Message"
2)About half way thru they started to dumb down the Predator to make it more of an even playing field for the climax. The end was stupid and like I said made the Predator look like a f'n idiot.
3)Adding in the lore with flint lock just to tie it in. Feeble attempt to include it to the 2nd movie

Agreed.

As I stated before, I think they missed the opportunity to turn a forgettable movie into a really good film if they just dropped the Predator into an accurate Comanche setting.

Comanches were a badass horse tribe that were feared by the U.S Army for 50 years on the Great Plains. They were expert riders at a very young age and were brutal and effective warriors.

Granted HULU might not have had the budget for such a film but I think they phoned it in nonetheless with a female lead.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'd rather it was a retro sexploitation/action flick ripe with a CGI'd version of Raquel Welch announcing her tiddy arrival in order to decimate evil celestials with massive mammage and to die for velvet piss flaps. Cue Jim Brown going toe to toe with said Pred and a cigar smoking James Coburn to expose toxic masculinity for what it is to this trio...child's play.

Appropriation is nothing without chauvinism. Scroll in approval.

Captureyyyygg-2.jpg

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Watched it last night and it was pretty much what I expected: mediocre. I didn't mind the female lead although I would have appreciated at least one scene in which she were more scantily clad. Ya know, just to get an idea of what she's working with.

I agree that the predator seemed less tactical and more antagonistic, maybe a bit of a loose cannon. Also, she defeated him with guile and wit, not really with strength or superior combat skills. Trust me. I'm one of the first to whine when a character like John Wick goes through a whole film whooping ass and then gets challenged by some random 112lb chick. I like to ask my 120lb gf she thinks she could realistically beat me up and as much as she like to pretend, she admits that without a weapon she could use from a distance, she's got very little chance. If she were a trained martial artist or something of the like, then fine.

-Far too much use of the invisibility "weapon." Maybe in modern times against a much more advanced "enemy", but not against bows, arrows, and axes.
-The wolf scene - The wolf was initially after the rabbit and hadn't even engaged the predator so going after the wolf wasn't justified per the typical predator-hunter guidelines.
-Bear scene - Bear was totally kicking its ass. Weight and strength advantage easily went to the bear. Once it had a grip on the predator it should have been game over. Perhaps there should have been more than one predator so that the bear could have smoked one while the other came after the bear and then finished out the movie.

Last edited:

OX1

Established Member
Didn't read all 4 pages, but any hint of severe wokeness (minor to moderate wokeness is a given I realize), that shit gets shut off (pertains to everything these days).

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure here, just asking - Wasn't Aliens Vs. Predator the first record of them coming to Earth? Understanding the whole movie wasn't about that encounter though...

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Watched it last night, wife was not thrilled about that choice. We have opposite taste in everything. It was worth a watch, enjoyed it but not worth a rewatch.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Comanches were a badass horse tribe that were feared by the U.S Army for 50 years on the Great Plains. They were expert riders at a very young age and were brutal and effective warriors.

I do not understand why the movie was set in the mountains. Comanche were in OK, TX and Mex. The movie looked like it was set in Colorado.

The notion that the Comanches were a progressive society with male/female equality is comical.

Apparently the director made a big point about casting only Comanches. If he strived for actual accuracy Naru probably would have been a sex slave and the movie would have been filmed in some dusty shithole in Southern OK.

Nonetheless I enjoyed it.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I do not understand why the movie was set in the mountains. Comanche were in OK, TX and Mex. The movie looked like it was set in Colorado.

The notion that the Comanches were a progressive society with male/female equality is comical.

Apparently the director made a big point about casting only Comanches. If he strived for actual accuracy Naru probably would have been a sex slave and the movie would have been filmed in some dusty shithole in Southern OK.

Nonetheless I enjoyed it.

Empire of the Summer Moon is a great book about Comanche history if you’re so inclined.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
One thing I wondered, as the flintlock was included as a direct tie to Predator 2, why didn't they use Sioux instead of Comanche? Billy in Predator was Sioux, and he heard stories of a monster (the Predator) hunting his ancestors.

The first movie seemed to imply that he had some sort of connection to the predator given his indian wisdom. The tie in seemed obvious, it really surprised me that this was not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread