Preview - MGW MT-82 Shifter - Final Version

jdcobra

Established Member
WTH, I just installed the race spec on my 2012 5.0, now another new MGW shifter???

Lol. :sad face: that's the only thing I don't like about MGW. They constantly revise their shifters to make them better but if you have a previous one then you're like wtf. But hopefully they won't make too many revisions on this one.

theACE

Established Member
Oh I'm waiting for George to call me back.

I'm probably going to buy the new, new lastest and greatest and hopefully last shifter.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Let's be brutally honest about this - the market is never completely satisfied and is always on the hunt for something better. Thankfully, George is up to the challenge and is always looking for ways to improve. When the returns diminish and a given shifter has been taken as far as it can go (and who knows that?) I suspect you'll see little change. Product refinement usually doesn't take something backwards and as such there has to be an understanding that continual improvement is to be expected especially if the manufacturer is going to stay at the forefront.

theACE

Established Member
The only reason I'm considering buying this new shifter, and why buying the race spec did not bother me is because of how awesome MGW is.

Debbie is great, every time I call she is always cheerful and helpful.

George is amazing at what he does.

Heck, the shop who installed my first MGW shifter used red loctite to keep the shifter ball in place, so I couldn't disassemble it when I installed the Race spec. I just send the whole shifter back to MGW in one piece, with my GT500 shift boot on it. Well, Debbie had the shop guys disassemble it, and shipped me back my shift boot free of charge....without me asking. I figured it was gone!

I love MGW.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If I just bought a race spec for my 13 boss and I haven't installed it yet can I exchange them and if so would I have to pay a fee and how soon can I order it?

I would put that sucker on and dont look back!!!

I need to stress this design came about due to pressure from the 2015 crowd to have a non body mounted shifter. WE stressed that the rear mount was VERY effective at reducing NVH and all one needs to do is read the glowing reviews from the race spec users over the last 2 months,.

This new design basically does the same thing the rear bracket does by channeling the NVH away from the upper shifter. it is not better , it is not worse. it is the same concept.

Again....if you put a race spec in then you will have the EXACT same experience than someone who puts one in 2 months from now...

When i make something that i say IMPROVES it then i say its a new gen like a new model car gets an hp boost...this is not a new generation. This is simply an alternate design to do the following...

1. quiet the naysayers that cannot comprehend why the rear bracket does what it does.

2. it allows me to streamline the 2015 GT and ecoboost designs so that now only 2 parts need changing rather than 4.

the rear support brackets will continue to be used on our 2005-2010 and gt500 shifters so not scrapping going on other than a dozen upper ecoboost arms.

George

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What's the point of the additional side bracing? I thought the billet arm alone was extremely solid.

They triangulate the main brace and add additional support.

If I just bought a race spec for my 13 boss and I haven't installed it yet can I exchange them and if so would I have to pay a fee and how soon can I order it?

It's honestly not much of an upgrade in performance of the previous Race Spec. It's more psychological than anything.

I'm curious to know what he's going to do with the previous production run he's already made- melt it down back to bulk material? I think it's only the brace bars, the rear mounts and the rear mount studs.

All of that stuff has either already been sold, repurposed for other models, or has been scraped if is was part of the prototyping process.

Lol. :sad face: that's the only thing I don't like about MGW. They constantly revise their shifters to make them better but if you have a previous one then you're like wtf. But hopefully they won't make too many revisions on this one.

It's the constant march of innovation. Look at the competition, they are just now starting to incorporate designs and features MGW releases 4 years ago. Being on the cutting edge requires always looking at your product and finding ways to improve it.

However, I was able to give George a new project to focus his attention on for the time being. I suspect any changes to this design that you any time soon will be related to easing production and installation.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What's the point of the additional side bracing? I thought the billet arm alone was extremely solid.

the side arms are designed to channel the NVH away from the upper shifter area and also provide additional support for the shifter since this version will have a larger rubber isolator in the very front single bolt attachment. again different design to do the exact same thing.

Cobradude72

Established Member
I would put that sucker on and dont look back!!!

I need to stress this design came about due to pressure from the 2015 crowd to have a non body mounted shifter. WE stressed that the rear mount was VERY effective at reducing NVH and all one needs to do is read the glowing reviews from the race spec users over the last 2 months,.

This new design basically does the same thing the rear bracket does by channeling the NVH away from the upper shifter. it is not better , it is not worse. it is the same concept.

Again....if you put a race spec in then you will have the EXACT same experience than someone who puts one in 2 months from now...

When i make something that i say IMPROVES it then i say its a new gen like a new model car gets an hp boost...this is not a new generation. This is simply an alternate design to do the following...

1. quiet the naysayers that cannot comprehend why the rear bracket does what it does.

2. it allows me to streamline the 2015 GT and ecoboost designs so that now only 2 parts need changing rather than 4.

the rear support brackets will continue to be used on our 2005-2010 and gt500 shifters so not scrapping going on other than a dozen upper ecoboost arms.

George

Thanks for the clarification George, glad I know I can always expect the best service and knowledge from you guys, can't wait to install my race spec now!!:beer:

08fordgt

Established Member
I have a question about the shifter boot on the 2015. Is it attached to the silver thing under the shifter ball? I am planning to get the 2014 thread pitch and use a ford racing shifter ball and shifter boot retainer unless mgw makes a 2014 style shifter boot retainer for the 2015 that I can use with the ford racing shifter ball.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The leather shift boot is attached to the chrome bezel. You should be able to use that ball. Just tell MGW what the thread pitch is and what you plan on doing when you place your order.

jdcobra

Established Member
The leather shift boot is attached to the chrome bezel. You should be able to use that ball. Just tell MGW what the thread pitch is and what you plan on doing when you place your order.

Install vid soon?

08fordgt

Established Member
Is there any way to take the plastic/metal shift ball assembly off of the boot without messing it up?

Users who are viewing this thread