Pretty modified and/or E85 people - what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

hatchke

Established Member
I don't know that I totally fit in the super modified category still being on a stock motor, but I'm running my 2.9 setup tuned on E85 w/ 3.73's and... my gas mileage is pretty horrendous. I genuinely don't really care if it's universally bad for most, but I just wonder if maybe I have a fuel leak somewhere (I WILL check all my return system lines anyway). I don't smell fuel, don't see anything dripping anywhere and build appropriate fuel pressure on crank.

I took a couple hr road trip in the car not that long ago and I got ~15mpg on the highway on the way down. I was cruising about 80-85 the whole way, and I guess with the 3.73's I wasn't exactly putting along. Around town it's probably more like 10-11 or so. I don't exactly drive it super easy, but i'm also not hammering on it all the time.

The other thing i've noticed is that the last quarter of a tank seems to disappear down to the fuel light pretty quickly. I also wonder if I did something weird with my fuel level float when I installed the pumps. At the same time, I had a full bolt-on GT500 a few years ago w/ 3.73's and I got about 9-10 around town on average.

Am I overthinking this and my gas mileage is expectedly low? I just want to make sure nothing is wrong here more than anything.

hatchke

Established Member
Oh hahaha, thanks all. Looks like the car is about right where it sits. I always had it in my head that it was 20%.

As long as i'm not driving a fuel leaking fire trap, I don't really care what the mpg is. It's a little annoying to track down E85 sometimes, but so it goes. I do have a 93 tune I can swap to if needed

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh hahaha, thanks all. Looks like the car is about right where it sits. I always had it in my head that it was 20%.

As long as i'm not driving a fuel leaking fire trap, I don't really care what the mpg is. It's a little annoying to track down E85 sometimes, but so it goes. I do have a 93 tune I can swap to if needed
One of the reasons I keep considering the MS3 plug and play. I need to buy a beater 4valve to learn on though

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I have an E85 station 3 miles from my house. Driving anywhere over an hour for a car show is something I’ll have to plan out this summer. I don’t have a 93 tune technically.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I get about 15mpg on the freeway cruising at 80. Around town is 9 or 10. I did some errands today and burned up about an 1/8th of a tank. There were a couple of spirited pulls in there. But that's just how it is. And why I'm glad I have the flex fuel set up.

Sent from my SM-N981U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll have to get back with you when it warms up for solid numbers. It's horrendous, I can tell you that. Lol

It's hard to stay out of the boost. My right foot has a mind of its own.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03' White Snake

Established Member
I got 150 miles to 1 tank of E85, all highway and no real hits. Just cruising, so that’s 11-12 mpg. I was on fumes when I got back. So I’d safely say 120 miles to a tank. If I’m going cruising with no known destination, I bring a VP can with me of E85.

My work is 22 miles each way, I burn 1/4 tank a day taking the car. I can dump in a 6 gallon VP can every day. I bet I’m in the 6-8 mpg around town.

Stock motor, I was getting better mpg’s. I call it smiles per gallon and don’t really care.

hatchke

Established Member
I got 150 miles to 1 tank of E85, all highway and no real hits. Just cruising, so that’s 11-12 mpg. I was on fumes when I got back. So I’d safely say 120 miles to a tank. If I’m going cruising with no known destination, I bring a VP can with me of E85.

My work is 22 miles each way, I burn 1/4 tank a day taking the car. I can dump in a 6 gallon VP can every day. I bet I’m in the 6-8 mpg around town.

Stock motor, I was getting better mpg’s. I call it smiles per gallon and don’t really care.

Haha ok good, i'm glad to be in good company then. I don't care how bad the mileage is as long at it's expectedly bad. I was thinking other people were doing better than I for some reason.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yep sounds completely normal for ethanol

And for the reason you stated i always treat 1/2 tank as ‘empty’ , don’t want to run out (or really hammer on it with low fuel) on E!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Yep sounds completely normal for ethanol

And for the reason you stated i always treat 1/2 tank as ‘empty’ , don’t want to run out (or really hammer on it with low fuel) on E!
Funny you say that. I never go under 1/2 tank now on E. I’m always filling up 5-6 gallons every time.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I took mine on a 2.5hr cruise last year with the RMMC, going up some steep mountains surprisingly the car did pretty good made it home with about 1/4 tank. Around town it does not do to good.

hatchke

Established Member
I took mine on a 2.5hr cruise last year with the RMMC, going up some steep mountains surprisingly the car did pretty good made it home with about 1/4 tank. Around town it does not do to good.
Damn - jealous of those numbers you made with your 2.9 Crusher! I knew I should have gotten a different gen blower haha. You made another 70hp and 100lb/ft over me at the same boost pressure

Stage 4.6

Established Member
It did pretty good, I'm getting ready to replace the tensioner soon, iI'm getting belt slip those crushers like to ne spinned.

Users who are viewing this thread