Predictions: 03 KB Vert V.S. Built 402 GTO

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Agreed. 60 rolls usually work in my favor. Below that, I can seem to get decent traction even with these 275 drag radials. Spring needs to hurry up and get here. I'm excited for our run too.

When I was making 540-623 rwhp my 17 inch Mickeys did well most of the time from a 40 roll. Anything under, forget it. It has to be the temps up by you. Living in Florida has its advantages in winter time. LOL

This is me a few years back (~2007) racing a full bolt-on, ported eaton that made 505 rwhp and then he had 60 shot on top to cool things off. I had the factory LS1 with Vortech and a 50 dry shot thru the blower. He was making ~565 and I was making 570 (dyno verified) and you see the outcome.

Fast forward to 2:46 for the GTO vs. ported eaton Cobra race:
280zxLT1(100ahot vb 05 s/c'd stang 03 cobra porte - Car Videos on StreetFire

He has 275 17 inch Mickeys and I had 18 inch BFG G-Force DRs as the time and you can see and hear me pedaling quite a bit. That first race my car stepped out towards his car so I let out.

The point is, anytime I raced a Cobra that made about the same power as me. I won the race 9 out of 10 times. Ported or not, the eaton will heat up and the power will drop unless they have something to cool it off (i.e. hidden nitrous, ect). Back in 07 there was not a lot of meth kits around but hidden nitrous was there.

I think this ported eaton car that raced the 402 GTO in this thread had a little hidden help that he wasn't fessing up to. Just my .02.

Another point!!! Most of those races were digs!!!!

50q's

Established Member
When I was making 540-623 rwhp my 17 inch Mickeys did well most of the time from a 40 roll. Anything under, forget it. It has to be the temps up by you. Living in Florida has its advantages in winter time. LOL

This is me a few years back (~2007) racing a full bolt-on, ported eaton that made 505 rwhp and then he had 60 shot on top to cool things off. I had the factory LS1 with Vortech and a 50 dry shot thru the blower. He was making ~565 and I was making 570 (dyno verified) and you see the outcome.

Fast forward to 2:46 for the GTO vs. ported eaton Cobra race:
280zxLT1(100ahot vb 05 s/c'd stang 03 cobra porte - Car Videos on StreetFire

He has 275 17 inch Mickeys and I had 18 inch BFG G-Force DRs as the time and you can see and hear me pedaling quite a bit. That first race my car stepped out towards his car so I let out.

The point is, anytime I raced a Cobra that made about the same power as me. I won the race 9 out of 10 times. Ported or not, the eaton will heat up and the power will drop unless they have something to cool it off (i.e. hidden nitrous, ect). Back in 07 there was not a lot of meth kits around but hidden nitrous was there.

I think this ported eaton car that raced the 402 GTO in this thread had a little hidden help that he wasn't fessing up to. Just my .02.

Another point!!! Most of those races were digs!!!!

No offense your video is ridiculous. Your not going to make similar horsepower, pedal your car, and then pull like you make 50hp at minimum. Second is has been shown that nitrous doesn't help keep iat2 down thus fixing the fact of pulling timing. Another point you make which doesn't make any sense would be that you pulled away from him after what, five seconds? No ported eaton is going to pull timing that quickly.

Another point is the ported cobra and GTO ran just as they should. Just because your a gto nut hugger doesn't mean they are what you believe they should be. A GTO is not a f-body ls car, sorry but its true. Nor have the ran close to what a f body runs. A LS2 gto is comparable to a f body, and comparable meaning barely. and also if I do recall could be wrong GTO had better gearing that an f-body.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Well like I said earlier, me and the ported Cobra ran 4 times. Here is the better of those runs. Seemed to be a clean race and he just pulls hard up top. It was a good death..

[youtube_browser]6hlvXZ4zan4[/youtube_browser]

This is what doesn't make sense to me. The cobra is shifting slower than a guy with no arms and still beating you. There's gotta be something wrong with that KB cobra. Like it's gotta have the worst tune in the world or something.

Evil6.0

Established Member
No offense your video is ridiculous. Your not going to make similar horsepower, pedal your car, and then pull like you make 50hp at minimum. Second is has been shown that nitrous doesn't help keep iat2 down thus fixing the fact of pulling timing. Another point you make which doesn't make any sense would be that you pulled away from him after what, five seconds? No ported eaton is going to pull timing that quickly.

Another point is the ported cobra and GTO ran just as they should. Just because your a gto nut hugger doesn't mean they are what you believe they should be. A GTO is not a f-body ls car, sorry but its true. Nor have the ran close to what a f body runs. A LS2 gto is comparable to a f body, and comparable meaning barely. and also if I do recall could be wrong GTO had better gearing that an f-body.

I'll be running ScreamingFast soon who has a ported Eaton. He make's 522 at the wheels if my memory serves me correct. I'll try to get up with him Friday or Saturday and see if we can get a video. Thats a Cobra vs GTO race both making equal numbers. I'm sure it will be another good run.

FoMoCo08

LSX Slayer
Established Member
YouTube

Here y'all go... I did my HW and put together an efficient setup.. With very little money... And drive the shit out of my car heres my mod list down to the tires;
-Stiegmier Stage 6 ported; supercharger, plenum, and throttle body.
-Billetflow 2.76 non slip upper pulley (stock lower)
-Gates V rib belt.
- JLT Nexgen CAI.
-AFCO double pass heat exchanger.
-UPR Off Road X pipe.
-Flowmaster Cat back exhaust.
- UPR triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster.
- Toyo Proxes R888 315/30/18.
- SCT tuner tuned by BAMA :( but tweaked there base tunes a bit ;)

* This cold weather helping out my IAT's

^SEE YOUTUBE LINK ABOVE FOR VIDEOS OF RACES^

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
I'll be running ScreamingFast soon who has a ported Eaton. He make's 522 at the wheels if my memory serves me correct. I'll try to get up with him Friday or Saturday and see if we can get a video. Thats a Cobra vs GTO race both making equal numbers. I'm sure it will be another good run.

He needs a lower to take advantage of that ported eaton, but I think it's still enough to hang with you. I'm pretty confident he can pull on the KB cobra you ran, but who knows. I don't buy the numbers he put down cause it was on a dyno which was reading pretty high. I'm sure he's closer to 490-500. His highest trap has been 121.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member

Ok, I can see that you are not firing on all cylinders based on your response so ill leave it at that.

50q's

Established Member
Ok, I can see that you are not firing on all cylinders based on your response so ill leave it at that.

Would you like to elaborate? A cobra doing back to back highway pulls over 140 pulls timing. Not a single pull, sorry. And if you would like to do a little research nitrous as already stated won't keep from pulling timing. There is a thread in the terminator section.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Would you like to elaborate? A cobra doing back to back highway pulls over 140 pulls timing. Not a single pull, sorry. And if you would like to do a little research nitrous as already stated won't keep from pulling timing. There is a thread in the terminator section.

What , on the Terminators determines pulled timing? On my GT500, it is IAT2 at 125 degrees I believe. Would NOS not cool the intake air temps? Just curious.

50q's

Established Member
What , on the Terminators determines pulled timing? On my GT500, it is IAT2 at 125 degrees I believe. Would NOS not cool the intake air temps? Just curious.

Yeah, it would seem to work that way in logic but it actually won't. You would have to some way spray post intercooler. Which is mostly impossible. Jake did tested and noticed identical iat2 with both nitrous and meth. It's iat2 that will pull the timing. Here is a little bread about it. Not sure if its the exact one just one mentioning he noticed zero change in iat2.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/833486-nitrous-posi-port.html

50q's

Established Member
He needs a lower to take advantage of that ported eaton, but I think it's still enough to hang with you. I'm pretty confident he can pull on the KB cobra you ran, but who knows. I don't buy the numbers he put down cause it was on a dyno which was reading pretty high. I'm sure he's closer to 490-500. His highest trap has been 121.

Yeah, based off other ported eaton numbers I would have to agree. a 2.76 upper with stock lower isn't going to read much over 500. But dyno numbers really can vary depending on the make. I mean my car with a posi port,a 2.76, and full exhaust made mid 500. I then bought the car from him with a stock blower and a 2.93 and it made 447/448 on a mustang dyno. No way, it made mid 500 with a port and a 2.76. If it were a factory freak it would have shown on a non port 2.93 but it didn't. Basically, I am saying dyno numbers really can vary, solely based on dyno not just tune alone. As for tuners, only so much a tuner can do. I mean there a good and bad tuners, other than that tunes can't vary a whole lot on a bolt on car with a "good" tuner.

Conservative port only cars, make between 490-510. After 510, it really matters on choice of bolts on;whether ported dragon,lower pulley, longtubes, intake(new JLT), and timing considering how risky your willing to get. also fuel is essential, no 91 octane car is going to run 93 octane timing or boost.

Last edited:

LSWONGTO

Boosted Goat
Established Member
Yeah, based off other ported eaton numbers I would have to agree. a 2.76 upper with stock lower isn't going to read much over 500. But dyno numbers really can vary depending on the make. I mean my car with a posi port,a 2.76, and full exhaust made mid 500. I then bought the car from him with a stock blower and a 2.93 and it made 447/448 on a mustang dyno. No way, it made mid 500 with a port and a 2.76. If it were a factory freak it would have shown on a non port 2.93 but it didn't. Basically, I am saying dyno numbers really can vary, solely based on dyno not just tune alone. As for tuners, only so much a tuner can do. I mean there a good and bad tuners, other than that tunes can't vary a whole lot on a bolt on car with a "good" tuner.

Conservative port only cars, make between 490-510. After 510, it really matters on choice of bolts on;whether ported dragon,lower pulley, longtubes, intake(new JLT), and timing considering how risky your willing to get. also fuel is essential, no 91 octane car is going to run 93 octane timing or boost.

Just throwing it out there that my Heads/Cam 460rwhp-430rwtq GTO ran dead even with my old room mates Steggy 03 that made 491rwhp-486rwtq. The 6Speed GTO shares the C5 ZO6's MN12 close ratio T-56.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member

Maybe on a Ford computer it won't make a difference. I'm not sure. During many tuning sessions with nitrous and meth, we saw the IATs drop and timing not effected in any negative way. On my later TVS2300 setup, we sprayed meth thru the blower and our IAT sensor was post intercooler and it always kept IATs 30-40 degrees lower and it always prevented timing from being pulled compared to when the meth kit was off. This, of course, was on my LS1 and LQ9 setups with tuned factory ECUs.

In my video, that night he was dealing more with heatsoak then anything. He had raced earlier and he was my first race. I also had a decent amount of weight reduction and a bottle heater (he did not have a bottle heater and falling nitrous pressure). Hence, as we raced more and more, i was puling better and better.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
You wanna run lower IAT2's then get a killer chiller

Oh yeah. Those things are awesome! These became popular on the LS cars after my reign of terror was over and I sold the car . . . LOL.

A buddy of mine did it on his GTO and his IATs were 38-42 degrees . . . Crazy.

Last edited:

50q's

Established Member
Maybe on a Ford computer it won't make a difference. I'm not sure. During many tuning sessions with nitrous and meth, we saw the IATs drop and timing not effected in any negative way. On my later TVS2300 setup, we sprayed meth thru the blower and our IAT sensor was post intercooler and it always kept IATs 30-40 degrees lower and it always prevented timing from being pulled compared to when the meth kit was off. This, of course, was on my LS1 and LQ9 setups with tuned factory ECUs.

In my video, that night he was dealing more with heatsoak then anything. He had raced earlier and he was my first race. I also had a decent amount of weight reduction and a bottle heater (he did not have a bottle heater and falling nitrous pressure). Hence, as we raced more and more, i was puling better and better.

You can't compare a single dyno run to data-logging a race. A single pull compared to an entire run is a whole new ball game.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
You can't compare a single dyno run to data-logging a race. A single pull compared to an entire run is a whole new ball game.

Don't think we haven't data logged races before. Laptops have ridden shotgun or backseat while recording data on many occasions with me and my buddies.

50q's

Established Member
Just find it weird your car reacts differently than others. Must be because its a ls motor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread