Predator Custom Tune???

Juiced-03

Established Member
I live in CA where we only have the crappy 91 octane. I have offroad x, 3" catback, 12" K&N, 2.80 w/idler, and Autolite 103's. I have been running the Predator pulley tune with all the timing backed off and 8% rich on the fuel. It runs great and I will be getting it dynoed next week. Has there been any success with 91 octane and the standard pulley tune? Would I benefit from a custom tune? The air/fuel ratios I have seen from the Predator seem kind of choppy. I want a straight line if possible. I say this because I have a 40 shot I want to spray on top of this only if my tune is rich enough to handle it.

So I guess I could always get a dyno and send the graph and Predator tune to a tuner and they could send me a custom tune right? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I think the most common problem you will see with the predator tune is that it tends to run a little lean in the midrange and rich up to. I would like to lean out my AF chart a small bit after 4500 RPM's but can't without a custom tune because the midrange 2500-4000 is at 13:1 and I don't want any part of the AF going any leaner than that. The AF adjustments do not do me any good here because I can only make adjustments across the entire RPM range. Don't get me wrong. I am glad I purchased the predator because I did get some good numbers from it and there are many other options on it that are useful. However, if you are looking for a totally flat AF line your are not going to get it w/out a custom tune.

Also, every tune seems to give different results. I have seen 2 cars with the exact same mods be tuned with the predator have 2 totally different AF ratios.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I think the most common problem you will see with the predator tune is that it tends to run a little lean in the midrange and rich up to. I would like to lean out my AF chart a small bit after 4500 RPM's but can't without a custom tune because the midrange 2500-4000 is at 13:1 and I don't want any part of the AF going any leaner than that. The AF adjustments do not do me any good here because I can only make adjustments across the entire RPM range. Don't get me wrong. I am glad I purchased the predator because I did get some good numbers from it and there are many other options on it that are useful. However, if you are looking for a totally flat AF line your are not going to get it w/out a custom tune.

Also, every tune seems to give different results. I have seen 2 cars with the exact same mods be tuned with the predator have 2 totally different AF ratios.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Chonger
...I have seen 2 cars with the exact same mods be tuned with the predator have 2 totally different AF ratios.

It is for this reason that I went with the AfterBurner/Wideband in addition to the Predator. This allows me to check my A/F under different conditions to ensure optimum performance and make changes on the fly in 400 rpm increments.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
It is for this reason that I went with the AfterBurner/Wideband in addition to the Predator. This allows me to check my A/F under different conditions to ensure optimum performance and make changes on the fly in 400 rpm increments.

ditto. My pulley tune with the Predator wasent perfect like i would've liked it to be. So luckely i already had the MAFterburner and was able to adjust the a/f flat all the way across.

Users who are viewing this thread