Precision gen2 68/70 ?

D-MANN

Established Member
For the Hellion kit, I had to slightly modify all the piping to fit the BW, and trim the fan shroud. I also went with a Volvo fan for more clearance. There is also the issue of the non-standard conical turbine flange. I had my machinist buddy machine it flat to accept a standard 3.5" V-band:

Marmon_to_Vband.jpg

Can I still use the stock fan or do I need the Volvo fan and if so do you have a part number?what changes where made to the piping?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

D-MANN

Established Member
My 76/75 also killed itself twice in one year. I went to twin Borg 62/74 sx-e's and haven't looked back.

Did you ever find out what the issues was? I keep hearing of precision not lasting very long. At this point I'm trying to find anything other than precision turbo. I want to make this BW s369 work tho. I think for my needs it will be perfect and last longer than the precision.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
First time they said too much oil and to add a restrictor. I added one. Second time "not enough oil warranty voided". They repaired it both times for free but after the last time I said enough and sold it. It made great power just couldn't seem to stay together longer than 2-3k miles.

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
Can I still use the stock fan or do I need the Volvo fan and if so do you have a part number?what changes where made to the piping?
I'll get the volvo fan part number tomorrow. Due to the shape of the turbine housing and size of the compressor housing size, there are only a couple of options. One is to tweak the turbine flange angle to move the turbo closer to the engine. The other would be to use an aftermarket coolant overflow and then raise the turbo. I opted to keep the coolant overflow. The bracket needed modified, exhaust pipe shortened slightly and T4 flange angled to the engine, cold side shortened slightly, and the volvo fan. The fan is wired for high speed only and adjusted in the tune.

Last edited:

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
From my build thread. I should duplicate it here on SVTP.
http://www.steelcitymusclecars.com/...31330-sutyak-s-turbo-2004-Mach-1-build-thread

Slimmer fan from a Volvo arrived. After trimming all the Volvo-specific tabs off the side it fits perfectly and provides some extra room. I still ended up trimming some from the top of the shroud for the turbine housing. The fan is definitely smaller than stock, but the full shroud should help a lot. I'm surprised the stock isn't. More pics of the fan after I get the turbo positioned and piping modified.

P1040813.jpg

P1040814.jpg

D-MANN

Established Member
From my build thread. I should duplicate it here on SVTP.
http://www.steelcitymusclecars.com/...31330-sutyak-s-turbo-2004-Mach-1-build-thread

Slimmer fan from a Volvo arrived. After trimming all the Volvo-specific tabs off the side it fits perfectly and provides some extra room. I still ended up trimming some from the top of the shroud for the turbine housing. The fan is definitely smaller than stock, but the full shroud should help a lot. I'm surprised the stock isn't. More pics of the fan after I get the turbo positioned and piping modified.

P1040813.jpg

P1040814.jpg

Great build. Unfortunately I don't weld and that fab work would need to be done at my local speed shop. That now adds dollars to get the BW to work.It is what it is but definitely not what I wanted to hear. That would bring the price back up to where the precision 6870 is and that as far as I know bolts rights in. It's just the oiling issue I would need to sort out. I wonder if the oil pressure regulator would be enough to solve the oiling issue?

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
I don't blame you for avoiding the extra fab work if you can't do it yourself.
I used run a .035" oil restrictor on mid-frame Garrett ball-bearing turbos. Large frame Garretts use a .040" or larger restrictor (.065" is most common). You should call Precision or a dealer about it. From what I'm reading, Precision may already include a restrictor on the turbo.
Info on Garrett BB restrictors:
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/oil_restrictor
This is where I usually buy restrictors:
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=RES

D-MANN

Established Member
Anyone know what oil restrictor size to start with for the precision turbo? I have -4an feed line and -10 return.

D-MANN

Established Member
Ok will do on the oil pressure regulator. Looks like I will give the precision 68/70 a try. Requires the least amount to work and has the option to go bigger if needed. Fitting the BW will require some changes and s369 is the biggest I can fit between the engine and rad. I can't see the s400 series working without then moving the rad etc. Sucks on the price of the precision. It's basically double what a BW is. I just hope it's trouble free.

Users who are viewing this thread