Power tools: corded or cordless

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
What do you guys normally use? I’m mainly focusing on drills. I won’t use it all that often so I’m worried about the shelf life of the battery. Do the cordless tools have the torque of a corded power tool?

tistan

Established Member
Cordless, lithium doesn't have a shelf life problem. You can get whatever size cordless tool you need. Another plus with cordless vs corded is that your corded will keep running after you let off the trigger where corded will keep running. If you get bound up a corded can smack you or twist the shit out of your wrist.

tistan

Established Member

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I use DeWalt 20v tools M-F. Depending on if you want the drill for drilling or actually screwing things in, you may prefer the impact driver.

The Lithium Ion will definitely hold a charge if it sits on the shelf, just disconnect it from the tool if it's going to be a very long time.

If you only want it for general little shit around the house, then Ryobi isn't bad. But if you need it to take a beating and a lot of use, then I look elsewhere.

utlong31

Established Member
I have most of the Milwaukee’s 12 volt tools and use them a lot. I also have a good amount of the 18v stuff. You can’t go wrong with either Milwaukee or Dewalt I have a Dewalt 12v also. Honestly you could save a few bucks and get a Ryobi for no more than your going to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Like others have said, battery for little stuff.

Stick with same brand so batteries are interchangeable. I have around 5 that are interchangeable between tools, weedwhacker, etc. Keep spares charged, use one until it dies and then right on the charger it goes with a fresh one replacing it.

I too keep my batteries off the tool when not in use. Dunno for sure but I imagine there's no chance of a draw so they'll stay charged longer.

My circular saw and jigsaw are corded but I've heard their battery counterparts are just as capable.

My makita hammer drill is corded and I don't think I'd ever go with a battery hammer drill

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I think I still have the Makita battery drill I bought 35 plus years ago. They were the first major tool manufacturers to have rechargeable drills. Ingersoll Rand made a battery 1/2 ratchet 40 years ago, I may still have that. I've had and wore them all out. Dewalt was good but just doesn't hold up. 5 years ago Ryobi would out last Milwaukee buy a big margin. I've since went to all Milwaukee. At least 15k in tools and batteries probably closer to 20k. I have m18 table saw, chop saw, chainsaw, band and circular metal saws, vacuums, weedwacker, multiple drills and drivers, hammer drills just to list a few. Milwaukee has the market cornered on variety hands down. I can work all day with any tool using a m18 12 Amp hour battery. We'll except a vacuum or blower. I was sold when we built a bridge in a remote location and I continuously cut 2x6 in the winter. Between the battery and the small kerf blade it cut the Preasure treated effortlessly.

SVTXTC

Established Member
Milwaukee hands down. Used to be a Hitachi fan but switched over everything to Milwaukee for the win when Hitachi became Metabo. You basically buy the batteries and the tool only option follow. Choose wisely as you don’t want a bunch of tools and batteries from different brands. I frequently see Milwaukee and Makita used by the pros. Only saw one contractor this year with a Dewalt setup. Everyone will have an opinion.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Milwaukee hands down. Used to be a Hitachi fan but switched over everything to Milwaukee for the win when Hitachi became Metabo. You basically buy the batteries and the tool only option follow. Choose wisely as you don’t want a bunch of tools and batteries from different brands. I frequently see Milwaukee and Makita used by the pros. Only saw one contractor this year with a Dewalt setup. Everyone will have an opinion.
I agree with all of this. In all the YouTube tests I've seen, the Milwaukee Fuel cordless tools are at the top in performance. Like you said though, everyone has an opinion.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Great luck here with Bosch.

What everyone else said about battery for everyday, and corded for hammer drill/sawsall/sander.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have all Dewalt tools at home, even a 1/2" impact gun. It will take just about any lug nut off. I used it at work for a month and the only negative is that it is heavy. Also, if you buy the chink knock off batteries the vibration from the impact gun will break the clip that retains the battery in the tool. I ended up bringing it back home and stay with my air powered impact guns. I do use Milwaukee cordless ratchets at work. They work extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread