Power Steering Rack

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member
Currently doing a motor build and have the engine out of the car. Given I've got 105K miles on the car, figured I'd swap out a few parts including the steering rack while I've got the engine out. Curious if any of you have done a new steering rack in your Cobra and if there were any you'd recommend.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd get your current one rebuilt. A lot of people recommend upgrading to an 03/04 or Cobra R rack, but I think finding them is getting difficult. To be honest I never noticed a difference between the steering in my 01 and my 04.

shurur

Established Member
Also if you want to get more road feel, you could install a hydroboost (power steering) UDP.

Last edited:

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I just installed one last year as mine developed a bad leak. Got the last Ford reman from Rock Auto. The trick is to get the air out of the system. I finally loosened up a connection at the PS pump to get the air out. So far it's working just fine. Rock Auto has a nice return policy - you can get less for your core as they will give you a specific return rate for UPS ground shipping. It's a lot less than it would cost you to send it back.

Users who are viewing this thread