Power steering issues

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I picked up a 98 GT a month ago, steering rack was crap so I replaced it, then the pump wasn’t any good, I replaced it, it was fine for a short 2 mile drive to get gas and the next day I got halfway to work (about 10 miles) and the steering went stiff again.. it’s not as bad when the RPM is up above like 2k but it’s terrible when going slow. So could the pump really have been good for that short a time and took a shit?.. I changed out a couple of the lines and replaced the teflon o-rings.. I’ve been messing with this for weeks now.. I was planning on taking the new pump out tomorrow and taking it back to Advance Auto and have them send me a new one... I mean it has to be the pump right?.. for those first 12 miles it was smooth as butter and no noise, it was wonderful, then all of a sudden it went to shit again and made my brake pedal super stiff and shitty.. if anyone has any other ideas please let me know, thanks.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Did you make sure to bleed the air out of the lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yea, or at least I thought since it was working and driving great for about 12 miles.

The way I always did was have the front end on jack stands. Have the cover off the PS pump, start the car and turn the wheels from lock to lock. Till you don’t see bubbles or the fluid drop anymore. Did you try that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sluggie24

Established Member
It's possible you just got a bad pump. I've seen that happen many times over the years, even with factory rebuilds.

Users who are viewing this thread