Power steering fluid, With pictures.

SVTDice

Established Member
So the other day I checked my power steering fluid, It was a little low and looked nasty. So I thought I'd take some pictures of the fluid, along with the fluid I've replaced it with. Valvoline Maxlife ATF; DEX/MERC. 03 Cobra's call for Mercon III for power steering fluid. Maxlife is fully compatible. I've heard fantastic things about it on BITOG. Plus for 15 dollars at Wal-Mart for a Gallon jug. Its a good deal.

The pictures. Fresh Maxlife on the left, Old fluid on the right. The bottles /may/ distort the true color a little. But you get the point.

20fqfy8.jpg

34dmr8m.jpg

zuryg2.jpg

PDF Information.
'Valvoline MaxLife ATF is the first automatic transmission fluid specifically formulated for
new and higher mileage automatic transmissions. It is formulated with synthetic base
stocks, unique seal conditioners, long-life friction modifiers, special anti-wear additives
and shear stable viscosity modifiers. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is recommended for use in,
new and rebuilt automatic transmissions as mentioned in this sheet, and will not void
new car warranties.
The Valvoline MaxLife ATF advantages
· Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks
· Reduce varnish formation and wear
· Improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional ATF’s
· Provide excellent flow at low temperatures and greater film protection at high
temperatures
· Maximize the life of higher mileage transmissions

Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ºC 7.3
Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ºC 36.7
Viscosity Index 169
Viscosity, mPa.s -40 ºC 16563
Pour Point, ºC -51
Specific Gravity @ 15/15ºC 0.851
Flash Point, COC, ºC 202
Colour red'

I used a turkey baster and sucked out about half of the PS Tank three times in three days, Drive around, Drain, Refill, Repeat. I was only able to remove half of the tank at a time due to the neck on the Turkey Baster being to thick. What I noticed the second time around is there is less resistance and less noise when turning the wheel when sitting still. Driving around it is a little bit more smooth, and a overall more fluid operation. Not an major difference but I noticed it.

Anyways, I may drain and fill it a few more times over the next few weeks. But for now, I think I'll let the new fluid circulate a bit more. :coolman:

Enjoy guys!

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I did the same thing before I put my Cobra into hibernation. I used a turkey baster too but I also put some old heater hose on the end of it so I could pump out more fluid each time.

I personally did not notice any difference in the steering characteristics but the fluid I pulled out looked disgusting. I was also pulling up something that looked like sediment from the bottom of the reservoir, did you get any of that crud??? Didnt see any more after about the third flush/fill.

Last edited:

Sagittaria

Established Member
I pulled off the hose going to the power steering cooler and used a pump to pull everything out that way.

I used Mobil.

I also had some crud but I used a little ICEE straw to scoop up as much of it as I could from the bottom screen.

SVTDice

Established Member
I have not scraped the bottom of the tank so I don't know if there is any crud. I just refilled it this morning and have yet to drive it so I don't know if there is any difference. I'll let you know if there is.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I do the same with all of my cars. The only difference is the fluid type of choice. In Ford power steering units, as you stated, ATF is the preferred fluid. With some older Ford cars I've used off the shelf ATF fluids for the power steering system with no noticeable difference in feel for steering. Using true synthetic ATF fluids, there was a noticeable difference in steering friction reduction.

In my girlfriends Jaguar, here PS fluid was neglected. I flushed the system with a true synthetic ATF. When she drove the car the first time, she was amazed how easy the steering felt compared to before. She said the car never had steering that light, even new.

Either way, servicing the power steering system with either fluid is a recommended procedure that many people never think about. Then they wonder why their 10+ year old car has a noisy power steering system.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Thanks everybody for your input! I do notice an improvement but that may be because Valvoline Maxlife ATF Is synthetic or so I hear it is. Now is it a "True" Synthetic? Probably not. I would be shocked if it actually was for the price it is.

Honestly though, I think I'm going to need to do quite a few more drain and fills for it to start getting more clear. I'm not even sure if the PS has ever been serviced before now. Either way I'm happy with the result. I think more people should look into this. I'll take more pictures every time I drain and fill and see how many times it takes to get it cleaned up.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Maxlife is a standard petroleum product. Changing the fluid with fresh additives will free things up and decrease wear.

If anyone has a car more than 5 years old that has never flushed the power steering system, it's a good thing to get done.

FordJunkie

Established Member
I do the same with all of my cars. The only difference is the fluid type of choice. In Ford power steering units, as you stated, ATF is the preferred fluid. With some older Ford cars I've used off the shelf ATF fluids for the power steering system with no noticeable difference in feel for steering. Using true synthetic ATF fluids, there was a noticeable difference in steering friction reduction.

In my girlfriends Jaguar, here PS fluid was neglected. I flushed the system with a true synthetic ATF. When she drove the car the first time, she was amazed how easy the steering felt compared to before. She said the car never had steering that light, even new.

Either way, servicing the power steering system with either fluid is a recommended procedure that many people never think about. Then they wonder why their 10+ year old car has a noisy power steering system.

I used Redline power steering fluid in my ford explorer.It needs to be changed again soon,see alotta people using ATF fluid for their power steering fluid,I dunno,more power steering fluid or ATF :shrug: :beer:

SVTDice

Established Member
I did some googling, I don't believe they are. Sadly. However I may be wrong. Maybe somebody else can chim in?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I wonder if Mercron LV is backwards compatible? I have a bunch of that stuff sitting around.

In the hydraulic power steering systems, the more viscous Mercon V is preferred. There is ~1.5 cSt difference in viscosity @ 100*C (212*F). In engine lubricant terms, that could be the difference between a 20 and 30 grade. Actually, it's the difference of a mid 20 grade and a very light 20 grade.

In a light vehicle application, Mercon LV would probably perform just fine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Anyone with rack and pinion Ford with miles on it should at least take a look at their power steering fluid. When I bought my 04 SVT Focus last summer w/ 127,000 miles on it ..... It was BLACK with metal flakes. UGH!

I really like the RP Max EZ (12 oz bottle) power sterling fluid because of the Synerlec additive.
It is compatible with any hydrocarbon power steering fluid and will mix just fine at any percentage of fill.

Protect your pumps and racks, a lot of soft aluminum in those racks. Get the metallic black old fluid out ASAP!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Anyone with rack and pinion Ford with miles on it should at least take a look at their power steering fluid. When I bought my 04 SVT Focus last summer w/ 127,000 miles on it ..... It was BLACK with metal flakes. UGH!

Protect your pumps and racks, a lot of soft aluminum in those racks. Get the metallic black old fluid out ASAP!

Two reasons why I flush the PS rack on a new car after 2-3 years and always on a used car soon as it's purchased.

SVTDice

Established Member
Thanks for all of your reply's guys! When I get my car back up and running I'll throw up some more pictures on the progress of the flushing process until it gets more clear.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What about amisol synthetic ATF? LIKE USED IN THE T56. How much dose the PS system hold?

Most cars average around 2-3 quarts to completely flush the rack. I use Amsoil Synthetic ATF exclusively in all the cars I own. It makes every newer car's steering feel a touch lighter. Older cars feel like a huge difference, since the old petroleum fluid is worn out.

My suggestion, buy a 1 gallon bottle. Then you always have enough with spare left over for top off if ever required.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Most cars average around 2-3 quarts to completely flush the rack. I use Amsoil Synthetic ATF exclusively in all the cars I own. It makes every newer car's steering feel a touch lighter. Older cars feel like a huge difference, since the old petroleum fluid is worn out.

My suggestion, buy a 1 gallon bottle. Then you always have enough with spare left over for top off if ever required.

Is there a better way to flush the rack at home then fill, let it circulate, drain then fill again? I have my car apart and have drained the fluid out the bottle, lines and pump itself.

So the Amsoil ATF is the same for T56 and powersteering?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Dont have my manual in front of me but there should be a drain plug (or something like that) on the steering rack. If there isnt then you can remove both the feed/return lines from the rack and drain that way.

SVTDice

Established Member
Is there a better way to flush the rack at home then fill, let it circulate, drain then fill again? I have my car apart and have drained the fluid out the bottle, lines and pump itself.

So the Amsoil ATF is the same for T56 and powersteering?

I believe the proper way to do it is Drain > Fill > Turn the wheels far right and then far left and then center the wheel, Drain and then fill and repeat that process.

Users who are viewing this thread