Power shifting?

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
Hello Jared,

I gave you a link to read it is fairly informative, whether you should powershift on the street may depend on these things in any order

1. dry pavement
2. drag radials or et streets
3. how much power you are making
4. your clutch set-up

Normally on the street in my particular car I at most speedshift my car, I rarely powershift, this is by choice, my t5 went well over 1000 passes before syncros and blockers went south.

The main thing in any type of rapid shifting is to make sure the clutch is completely disengaged before changing gears, most often times the hand is quicker than the leg :).

When you powershift start out at a LOW RPM so you can get used to it. Preload the shifter i.e. in 1st pull on the shifter with a little pressure like you are trying to go into 2nd, and then when it is time for 2nd kick the clutch and the shifter will slip into gear easily because it was preloaded.

Follow the same thing for the remaining gears, one more thing when it is time to use the clutch you want to depress it just enough to get the shifter out of gear, you don't want so spend a lot of time on the clutch.

Well happy shifting :coolman:

Here is the link: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/03/powershift/index.shtml

James

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
On the street you should realy never need to powershift, unless it's really that close of a race. Just speedshift. But on the track, going for your best time, powershifting will work wonders when done right.

Like Qtr said, but I'll add on...

First off, some vehicals don't like preloading the shifter, so try doing both.

For the first few times until you nail it, don't do it at the top of you rpm band, if you hit the limiter, it will alsmost defeat the pourpose of powershifting.

With you right foot at WOT, stab you left foot on the clutch to the floor and release as fast as humanly posible. At the same time shift into the next gear. It takes timeing and practice to get right. But on some vehicals it will cut a tenth or more from your time slip.

However, in my experiance, with a centerfugail supercharger, you want to semi powershift, or speed shift with out fulling lifting off the throtle. when the Throtle Body closes for the split second on a cenetfuigal, it spikes the boost. When done right, befor the bypass opens, I saw 1mph and 1 tenth imrovment over powershifting, and 3mph and 1.5 tenths over speedshifting.

Practice this many times befor you use it in a race that maters. Once you get it right, shift at your peek powerband.

If you preload the shifter, you gotta be esp quick with the clutch! you should be anyways while powershifting.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
If you read the above posts, they are discriptions on how to powershift.

But to sum it all up, it means you shift as fast as humanly posible, and never take your foot of the throtle.

Users who are viewing this thread