Powdercoating problem

TRMN8RCRIS

Established Member
So I need to know if I F'd up or what but I had my valve covers powder coated a while back ago, now the actual powder coating job came out great except for that inside the valve covers I have a thin layer of very fine sand, which I assume is from the sand blasting. I tried cleaning it off with water and it did get a lot of it but there still is a layer. Am I screwed or is there a better way of cleaning them?

Thanks!

TRMN8RCRIS

Established Member
Here is a picture of what I am talking about, sorry about the size

kc1jcy.jpg

Woody6799

Established Member
Same thing happened to mine bc the first powder coater did not know what he was doing. He blasted them, got the sand mixed in with the oil, and then sprayed them. Check it out.

image1.jpg

So I had them redone by my normal powder coater. He acid dipped them and used aluminium oxide to spray. Came out clean as a whistle with a little air. I would talk to your powder guy bc you can't put that back on the engine. Maybe some brake clean and a brush will get you cleaned up after a while.

Madguns

Snake lover
Pressure wash them! So many dummies out there powdercoating. It is a skill and you need to know what youre doing. By the way powdercoat comes off super easy with aviation grade paint stripper.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Pressure wash them! So many dummies out there powdercoating. It is a skill and you need to know what youre doing. By the way powdercoat comes off super easy with aviation grade paint stripper.

this, despite telling them not to they coated where the crank pulley seal goes on my timing cover and the idler standoffs. Some aircraft stripper took it right off though

TRMN8RCRIS

Established Member
Damn, I'm might try it on these valve covers and see. I already bought the 01 cobra valve covers but if I can get that crap clean off the inside I might keep them and sell the 01s

oldmodman

Established Member
I cleaned out a pair for a friend. But he had painted his himself. He should have taped them first.

I taped up only the painted surfaces he wanted to keep and blasted the inside with glass beads. Removed all the paint and any oil residue left. Wasn't fast, it took nearly an hour to remove every trace of oily, painted surface crud.

After taking off the tape his exterior was not damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread