Potential Purchase, what did the 2012 Boss cars come with?

prez1967

Established Member
Looking at a couple 2012 cars.

What did the cars come with? I seem to remember that they came with an ownership packet that included Boss specific paperwork and a book?

Also, was the track key included with the sale or optional?

Looking forward to checking the car out!

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey prez1967 - good luck with your hunt!

Bosses came with silver (normal) key and also a red Trackey - however the red key was not programmed from the factory - it was a $302 option that was done at your dealership and they would download the new tune that would only work with the red key.

And yes there was a big owner's pack that got mailed to you a few weeks after purchase.

Both of my Bosses had been ordered with a factory car cover and it seems like a lot of them were ordered that way so check to see if that is around.

prez1967

Established Member
Thanks for the quick response! I thought I remembered a huge owners package being included with each car...

The car i'm looking at has the non-Recaro seats. From what I recall, the Recaro seats sat really high for me. I'm 6'6" and cant remember being able to adjust them in a way that i would be comfortable in there. I fit GREAT in a standard Mustang GT with leather seats and assume the non-recaros would be what I need but any input would also be appreciated

KBBoss302

Established Member
I honestly don't know of any difference in seat height between the two versions so I can't comment. Personally, I love the Recaros (have had that brand of seats in 6 different cars now) I will say that the Boss Recaros are incredibly comfortable, although I am 4" shorter than you. I have my driver's seat as low as it goes and I still have headroom.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
The recaros sit lower. My brother has standard seats in his and he wants recaros to gain more head room. The recaros are height adjustable via a lever the the driver side.

onmywayout

What did the cars come with? I seem to remember that they came with an ownership packet that included Boss specific paperwork and a book?

No idea on the 2012 model but if you are looking for what I feel is a great car/price there is a 2013 Boss here. Dealer offered in to me for $29,000.

dlaude

Established Member
Dang that does seem like a great deal. Clean CarFax, too. 3 owners. My car has similar mileage and I think I'm the 2nd owner, I thought it was worth more than that. Bummer!

KBBoss302

Established Member
onmywayout - don't fear the MT82 because you can have one rebuilt for less than $1000 or for about 1500 you can get one super beefed up (see Ben Calimer MT82s). Now that I have a decent clutch in mine (RST), shifting above 7k rpm is flawless (my MT82 is completely stock other than Amsoil fluid).

onmywayout

onmywayout - don't fear the MT82 because you can have one rebuilt for less than $1000 or for about 1500 you can get one super beefed up (see Ben Calimer MT82s). Now that I have a decent clutch in mine (RST), shifting above 7k rpm is flawless (my MT82 is completely stock other than Amsoil fluid).

Yes I know but I really don't want to have to deal with this issue at all, making expensive changes and hoping they work. Transmission rebuild if needed, clutch, shifter, labor, all these things add up quickly and before you know it you have more dollars tied up in the car than it is worth.

I hate to say it but I think I am going to wait for some used 17-1LEs to show up on the market or wait for Chevy's annual 20% end of year dump sale.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Not a bad idea. A cousin of mine has a '17 1LE and I've driven it. Better overall car than a Boss in pretty much every way . . . except it just isn't even close to being as much fun to drive when driving hard. Call me biased.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Imo part of the Magic of the Boss being fun to drive IS the MT82. I've driven several GT500s and even with gears the trans gear spacing is so tall the car is just not as zippy. It's the same in the new GT350s... They need shorter gearing too imo.
My trans has been relatively problem free with occasional block out only with wheel spin in first shifting at 7k plus..... As mentioned a RST clutch will fix any shifting issues. Drive the Boss..... With only around 6-7k cars ever made 12 and 13 combined its way more rare than the GT350 or GT500...

KBBoss302

Established Member
Agree with you about the gear ratios. MT82 gets bad reputation in the Boss but it's really the clutch that is the issue. Overall, I find it to be an excellent gearbox now that I can shift it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
get a 13. the 12 has outdated looking lights. the 13 has HID's and LED's. makes a world of difference as far as looks go imo. every new car on the planet has HID's and LED's. Plus the HID's simply light things up far better!

I had a 2012 Mustang GT and the older looking lights jus wore on me after seeing the 13-14 with HID's and LED's plus I wanted an Auto and mine was stick but when searching it was 13-14 or nothing.

byronj

Established Member
You’ll be fine without the Recaro seat. The non Recaro Seats are just regular manual seats like the other mustangs and they are height adjustable as well. I have both sets for my Boss and am really not sure which I prefer more. Sure Recaros provide more support but I’m not on the track every time I drive the car.

Race Red Boss

Established Member

Torsen Differential and Recaro's were important (and optional equipment) to me because I wanted to track the car a few times. I was the 2nd owner and the original owner included the Owners Kit (Boss 302 Key chain, posters, history hard cover book and "Making of" DVD that were very cool. Also included the optional custom car cover (Has Boss 302 Logo and striping on it similar to the car).

Users who are viewing this thread