Potential new Terminator owner... What do i need to know when looking for one?

spytek

Established Member
Hey everyone, i have been reading threads on this forum for a while and now i think its time to step up and find a car for myself. I am just looking for advice on what to look for when looking at used cobras, i am very familar with cars in general so i just need to know some of the things to look for that might be a issue. I know you guys have alot of experience with these cars and i greatly appreciate any help you can give me . Thank you in advance.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
you could try doing a search on the forum. Other than that make sure the owner didn't have a aftermarket pulley and swap it for the stocker and not put the stock tune back in.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's going to be hard to determine whether or not ANY car you look at has been modded as it is very easy to put an '03/'04 back to stock. A careful eye might pick up on scratches on the pulley shaft which would mean the pulley had been removed. I would do an Oasis report and see what work might have been done on the car you're considering. I would also lean towards an '04 as the '03 had a few more issues. There were a number of issues with both the '03 and the '04 that you would want to check for. Here's just a partial list.
The "tick" (required a replacement head)
Stalling (required an ECU reflash)
Paint defects (especially on the hood)
Transmission problems

There are more that you can find doing a search.

My best advice is to try to buy a Cobra from a known and trusted source. A number of folks here have bought/sold Cobras to other forum members. I actually sold mine to a guy in Arizona. He got a great car! :)

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread