Post up-Fire ext. installed pics

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Looking to install a Fire Extinguisher in my trunk. Looking for best ideas for location. Please post up pics of your install and how you did it.
Thanks.

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
Here's one:

rice.gif

Don't do it dude.Thats what the fire department is for.:poke:

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
Ill get a pic up 2mrw but my car has a small one mounted to the drivers seat motor right in front of the seat. It came with the car that way.

postalbunny

Established Member
subing, i keep one behind the driver's seat on the floor. It's a mini one, for kitchens/apartments. Doesn't roll around much due to the handle, probably be better if i mounted it somewhere/somehow.

Already had to use it twice, luckily on other peoples cars and not mine.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
Here's one:

Don't do it dude.Thats what the fire department is for.:poke:

That's like saying don't get a concealed carry permit, that's what the cops are for.

Fire department didn't help this guy.

My 95 burnt to the flooor and im rebuildin her, come check it out (56k= NO WAY) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

I have one mounted under the glovebox using the holes for the glovebox door to screw the bracket in.

a50214b3.jpg

And another one in the trunk thats mounted in an upright position kind of behind the passenger side tail light. Don't have a picture of that though. You can pick these extinguishers up at wal mart for about $20 a piece and they come with the brackets.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
why put it in the trunk? llight the engine compartment or trunk release button on fire then what?

I guess thats where I thought it would be best located. Its a utility type thing which naturally goes into the trunk area. I did think of putting it in the inside area but couldn't come up with a place that makes sense. I like under the seat idea like "8urLS_what" came up with.
Hence the reason for this thread. I want to explore all possible locations and then choose the best for me.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
That's like saying don't get a concealed carry permit, that's what the cops are for.

Fire department didn't help this guy.

My 95 burnt to the flooor and im rebuildin her, come check it out (56k= NO WAY) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

I have one mounted under the glovebox using the holes for the glovebox door to screw the bracket in.

a50214b3.jpg

And another one in the trunk thats mounted in an upright position kind of behind the passenger side tail light. Don't have a picture of that though. You can pick these extinguishers up at wal mart for about $20 a piece and they come with the brackets.

Does having it there interfere with the passengers legs. It does look kinda cool there. How big is that one?

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
Haha, Just giving the OP a little hard time. Extinguishers seem a little overkill for a mildly modded car but it you have some beast motor or nitrous etc then its a good call. Definitely think accessibility/functionality should be number 1. Maybe fab a bracket off rear two bolts of the drivers seat and have it mounted back there. Someplace easy to get but not showcasing it in the car.

Anabolic

Banned
personally, i wouldn't want one in my car.. but you could try mounting one to the passenger side centerconsole peice (right next to the shifter) so it's easy access for you and out of the way..

keith89

Established Member
personally, i wouldn't want one in my car.. but you could try mounting one to the passenger side centerconsole peice (right next to the shifter) so it's easy access for you and out of the way..

the fire extinguisher should always be mounted perpendicular to the length of the car so it won't become a projectile in a front end collision.

The vetteworks bracket i have is a bolt in solution that mounts to the passenger front seat bolts and is out of the way.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you care enough about your car to install a fire bottle, spend a lot more and get a Halon (or it's currently available replacement).

If you ever have to use it you will be glad you got it. Halon doesn't make a huge mess of your car. It performs better than dry chemical, and unlike dry chemical it doesn't cause corrosion and ruin your electrical system down the road.

Here's a few.
Race Fire Extinguishers, Systems, Halon - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Probably cheaper sources out there too.

keith89

Established Member
If you care enough about your car to install a fire bottle, spend a lot more and get a Halon (or it's currently available replacement).

If you ever have to use it you will be glad you got it. Halon doesn't make a huge mess of your car. It performs better than dry chemical, and unlike dry chemical it doesn't cause corrosion and ruin your electrical system down the road.

Here's a few.
Race Fire Extinguishers, Systems, Halon - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Probably cheaper sources out there too.

+1 The replacement is called Halotron. That's what I have but be prepared to pay $$$.

keith89

Established Member
kevin...why would you want to put this in the car? you worried about a fire? Or is this to meet car show regulations?

having a return fuel system with big fuel lines under the car I like to have a fire extinguisher ready just in case. I've seen cases where a fuel line at the rail sprung a leak and caught fire. I've also seen a failed hydroboost unit leak power steering fluid onto the hot exhaust manifolds and catch fire. I've had to use the fire extinguisher i keep in my car once to put out a fire in another car on the side of the road.

I don't care if people think it's just for show or call me a ricer for having one. I'd rather be prepared and it's already proven itself once which is enough for me.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
kevin...why would you want to put this in the car? you worried about a fire? Or is this to meet car show regulations?

Hey Ian, Yeah, Sort of both. I like the safety aspect of it as well as I think it adds a little to the show factor and cruise night type stuff. I would say 60/40 split on the reasons. Its one of those things that you don't think about until its too late. It's not like you can get an easy replacement to our cars anymore.
I did get a Halotron based unit and have a bracket to mount in the trunk area. Just was looking for best spot to install it.
Now, I will be taking a harder look at that Vetworks seat bracket system. Seems easiest to do and as someone else pointed out, it would be really easy to get if ever needed.

Users who are viewing this thread