Post job offer opinions needed

EB85

Established Member
Alright, so here's the story about as straight forward as I can make it. Last Weds. I was offered a job and accepted. I was told that I should be able to start tomorrow, the 8th. I had to take a drug test and a physical beforehand. I did the drug test Thursday and the physical Friday afternoon. I was informed that the results would be faxed over. As I was walking out of the door, I called the guy who offered me the position and informed him I took both tests. He says they had already gotten the results of the drug test and that was good to go. He then said they will call me and let me know when to start. Now, the physical was wrapped up around 4:30 so it was toward the end of the day but it only takes all of 30 seconds to send a fax. Here's my conundrum: do I show up tomorrow morning or wait for a call/email? I'm thinking show up and worst case scenario is they are not ready for me yet but maybe I can get the tax and direct deposit paperwork going at home. I think that looks better than not doing anything and just waiting. Suggestions, input?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Call and leave a voice mail around 7:30a and say you weren't sure if you should come in or not, but that your ready to come in and get started and for them to give you a call and let you know. At least that's what I would do.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I would do the same, worse case it looks like you can follow directions and eager. I've worked with HR people who have done similar and it's always better to go in if they said to at one point.

Zemedici

Established Member
Call early, leave voicemail, go back to bed. But answer your phone when they call back!

EB85

Established Member
I'm kinda torn but I feel going is my best bet. Shows I want to work. As I see it, the worst case scenario is I have to wait a day and I take home the tax and direct deposit paperwork ahead of time.

Call early. Or even show up? If it's not much trouble or far.
It's not far. Maybe 20, 25 minutes.

Vigilante

Established Member
As others have said, go in. I have been burned one too many times by that promise of calling you back.

It sucks because they can waste your time, but you do as they say and you won't get the job(Even if they are in the wrong).

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
As others have said, go in. I have been burned one too many times by that promise of calling you back.

It sucks because they can waste your time, but you do as they say and you won't get the job(Even if they are in the wrong).

This, going in is 100x better than calling. Shows initiative.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
For my current job I was kind of put in the same situation. I got offered the job, was told I had to pass a drug test in order to get the job, but they wanted me to come in that next morning at 6:30AM for training. I was like uhhh, so if I were to fail I would have done this training for nothing? I knew I would pass the test and I decided I would go in anyway (even though I wasn't official yet), and it's a damn good thing I did because it was literally this last guys' day on the job, and that was the only training I got ahaha.

I'm sure your situation is different, but if they say to be there, it will look good if you show up ready to work.

EB85

Established Member
Update? What did you decide?

Showed up at 8 like I wanted to. Here they are waiting for their HR lady who only works a couple days a week and those are split between two different locations. She works Thursday in the place I applied to so I feel I should hear from them by end of the day. Believe me, if I could have started today I would have.

EB85

Established Member
Ah, finally got the green light. I start Monday morning which is awesome because 1, I'm ready to go back to work and 2, I can go to Evolution on Saturday for their car show without having to worry about the $$$ situation in the short term.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Congrats man. Always nice to finally land that job after a period of down time.

Users who are viewing this thread