Possibly switching away from stingers

canadianbullitt

Established Member
Ok here goes ANOTHER exhaust set up question.
I currently have MAC LTs, Prochamber O/R midpipe with and Borla Stingers. Im not sure if im getting old or what but lately ive been thinking that this beast of mine is just a bit too loud. So the question is what should I do? The first idea was to change the stingers to a chambered muffler (open to suggestions here) Kind of sucks cause the catback is polished but oh well, ill have do polish the new one.
Second option is to change the mid pipe. Not sure if that a good idea since the prochamber is supposed to be somewhat mellow already.
So, what to do. If I did go with a different catback, should I go to a 3" set up or will that be even louder? I do like the sound of the stingers at WOT but just feel like they are a bit loud in the cabin at regular cruising speed. Should I maybe do some sound deadening?
Thanks in advance,
Chris.

PC03GT

Established Member
You could always just buy a set off mufflers instead of a whole catback just in case you don't like it. I had magnaflows on my 03 and switched them out for a set of 40 series flowmasters

canadianbullitt

Established Member
I could just switch the mufflers yeah. I think the borla touring would be pretty good. Still have longtubes which will make it pretty loud. I cant find the part number for just the mufflers only the whole catback. 14858

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I really like my magnaflows and I get alot of compliments on them. I dont have headers but they are decent volume cruising and get loud when you want them loud.

cj428mach

Established Member
Add bullet mufflers to your existing midpipe. Malcolmv8 has a how-to thread.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Add bullet mufflers to your existing midpipe. Malcolmv8 has a how-to thread.

I tried this (still have them in pro chamber) and they don't make that much of a difference, so I wouldn't recommend.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tors-to-Prochamber-drone-reduced#post11507899

And yes later with stingers.... which I got rid of quick, not a fan. I also suggest welding in different muffs in the stinger pipes, that what I did. I'm not sure a larger offset/offset case muff will fit given the angle/position that the stinger came, I believe they put the little round buggers in the middle the area. A quick look under the car will tell you. I put in magnapaks which are similar shape/size, but are just as loud so won't help you. Plus you can sell used stinger mufflers for more than whatever you buy to replace. good luck

Mach828

Established Member
I felt the same way, same exhaust setup. Traded my stingers for a set of regular magnaflows, welded them in place, and I'm really happy with it.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
i have a lead on a used (already polished so that will save time) Steeda CB. Ill probably try that. Just have to do something about the little girly tips that come with that CB. Cut and weld the Borlas or find some other ones.

If your current setup is too loud, then common sense dictates remove your LTs and get some type of catted midpipe. But that's just stating the obvious here.

wreckit

Established Member
Just my .2 cents. I would get rid of the promac chamber... You can try the Bassani X pipe catted. This is the setup im saving for as we speak.
IMO, I think the prochamber gives it a pop can sound. Seen guys go from Prochamber to Catted X pipe and be happy with it.
Don't get me wrong, theres nothing better than a termi blowing eardrums out. But there comes a time when you just don't want it hahah.

OR.. go catted H or X and install some Electric CUT-OUTS!
Get the best of both worlds.

Oh, and for your question......If you go 3 inch tubing to your current system, it will make it way louder!!! Done it before on multiple vehicles.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Just my .2 cents. I would get rid of the promac chamber... You can try the Bassani X pipe catted. This is the setup im saving for as we speak.
IMO, I think the prochamber gives it a pop can sound. Seen guys go from Prochamber to Catted X pipe and be happy with it.
Don't get me wrong, theres nothing better than a termi blowing eardrums out. But there comes a time when you just don't want it hahah.

OR.. go catted H or X and install some Electric CUT-OUTS!
Get the best of both worlds.

Oh, and for your question......If you go 3 inch tubing to your current system, it will make it way louder!!! Done it before on multiple vehicles.

I'm running the Bassani X with removable cats. The difference between cats and no cats is like night and day. With cats quite and smooth, no cats loud and raspy. I'm running regular MagnaFlow though.

taylorcrzy

Established Member
+1 borla touring....currently running this setup with Bassani X pipe with cats removed and I love the sound. Gets a lot of compliments and sounds amazing! Just my .02 worth...good luck in your search!

canadianbullitt

Established Member
If your current setup is too loud, then common sense dictates remove your LTs and get some type of catted midpipe. But that's just stating the obvious here.

Common sense does not dictate that. It sounds good just too loud for longer cruises. I added the LTs more for a power gain than a sound gain and that's exactly what I got.

Bakerfish17

Established Member
Used to have the Steeda CB with a upr off road x pipe and it sounds like a quiet form of the stingers. Very mellow cruising with basically no drone, but when you got on them they sounded amazing. Would probably sound even better with a catted x or your prochamber.

cj428mach

Established Member
I tried this (still have them in pro chamber) and they don't make that much of a difference, so I wouldn't recommend.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tors-to-Prochamber-drone-reduced#post11507899

And yes later with stingers.... which I got rid of quick, not a fan. I also suggest welding in different muffs in the stinger pipes, that what I did. I'm not sure a larger offset/offset case muff will fit given the angle/position that the stinger came, I believe they put the little round buggers in the middle the area. A quick look under the car will tell you. I put in magnapaks which are similar shape/size, but are just as loud so won't help you. Plus you can sell used stinger mufflers for more than whatever you buy to replace. good luck

I added the same mufflers to my aluminized UPR X pipe and they cleaned up the sound a lot and hushed it a little. I then got a new stainless UPR X-pipe so I could polish it and was thinking about leaving the mufflers out of it. One trip around town I could see that the mufflers did more than I remembered and they went on the stainless x pipe lol.

Users who are viewing this thread