Possibly buying a 13-14 Shelby in the future...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey svtp!

I'm not overly knowledgeable when it comes to the 13-14 Shelby's. I'm mainly wondering what the difference (if any) between the two years are?

It doesn't look like prices are dropping anytime soon either. Which means I'd likely have to finance some through my credit union.

Any good places to do some heavy research on these would be helpful!

And I don't know anyone that owns one, which makes it tough to drive one.

What about reliability?

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The 2013 is the 20th Anniversary edition and has the 20th anniversary door sills and the pony in the center of the LCD gauge screen.
The 2014 has the cobra logo in the LCD gauge screen and the regular SVT logo door sills.
The 2014s also went to a solvent based paint, and the 13s are a water based paint.
They also have a different starter motor in the 14s not exactly sure why and really doesn't matter at all.

All and all nothing is really different between the two. Try and find a stock one, they're a total blast.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The 2013... the pony in the center of the LCD gauge screen.
The 2014 has the cobra logo in the LCD gauge screen...
Beyond the graphic change, which I believe actually happened early in the 2014 MY, the early specimens (Mustang graphic) can select Launch Control RPMs between 2500 and 5200. In later specimens (Cobra graphic), Launch Control is available between 3000 and 4500 RPMs.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Beyond the graphic change, which I believe actually happened late in the 2013 MY, the early specimens (Mustang graphic) can select Launch Control RPMs between 2500 and 5200. In later specimens (Cobra graphic), Launch Control is available between 3000 and 4500 RPMs.
I didn't know that, @Norton. Thanks for the info.

Brady, a '13-'14 GT-500 would be a great addition to your stable. VERY popular GT-500 years.

fearthesnake

Established Member
The 2013 is the 20th Anniversary edition and has the 20th anniversary door sills and the pony in the center of the LCD gauge screen.
The 2014 has the cobra logo in the LCD gauge screen and the regular SVT logo door sills.
The 2014s also went to a solvent based paint, and the 13s are a water based paint.
They also have a different starter motor in the 14s not exactly sure why and really doesn't matter at all.

All and all nothing is really different between the two. Try and find a stock one, they're a total blast.
I swear the water based paint on the '13's is brittle, not durable at all. On my Grabber Blue, I get small chips around the door seals/jams about the size of a pin head and it's not from opening/closing the doors, there is no contact. It's strange for sure and never had another car ever do this.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
And I don't know anyone that owns one, which makes it tough to drive one.
^ all good points on prior posts. I'll touch on the driving experience till you find one.

Many HP Terminator owners, I know of 2, scowled and grumbled and talked shit about the 13/14 being slow and laggy. Like me, they were adapt to the low end hit of VMP power and all that that an 04 provides.
I too felt the car was way overpriced for what it was.
I drove 2 base models and a fully loaded PP and TP car.

My point, do not anticipate a monster behind a STOCK 13/14 (3:31 gears) compared to your current setup. The solid axle is also takes some getting use to after having an IRS with FTBR etc.

Pass on the Base Model. Get the Performance Pack optioned car for the electronic suspension. I have roads that are better driven in sport mode vs normal mode and vise versa.

The Track Pack isn't needed. I wouldn't have paid the extra $$

You probably will want to budget for or try and get a car with the following;

3:73 gears
MGW Shifter
No OEM tires (very dangerous)
2.4 Pulley
TB, CAI
Upper and Lower Control Arms, Panhard Bar, Eibach springs
Exhaust....tough with EPA now

Biggest bang for the buck are the gears!

Last edited:

raustin0017

Established Member
OP...the 2013-2014 GT500 page on this site...is the best place on the planet to do your research. It would take months to read all the solid material located here.
Fly / drive out to Virginia Beach, VA and will let you drive mine.

Good luck on your search!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
^ all good points on prior posts. I'll touch on the driving experience till you find one.

Many HP Terminator owners, I know of 2, scowled and grumbled and talked shit about the 13/14 being slow and laggy. Like me, they were adapt to the low end hit of VMP power and all that that an 04 provides.
I too felt the car was way overpriced for what it was.
I drove 2 base models and a fully loaded PP and TP car.

My point, do not anticipate a monster behind a STOCK 13/14 (3:31 gears) compared to your current setup. The solid axle is also takes some getting use to after having an IRS with FTBR etc.

Pass on the Base Model. Get the Performance Pack optioned car for the electronic suspension. I have roads that are better driven in sport mode vs normal mode and vise versa.

The Track Pack isn't needed. I wouldn't have paid the extra $$

You probably will want to budget for or try and get a car with the following;

3:73 gears
MGW Shifter
No OEM tires (very dangerous)
2.4 Pulley
TB, CAI
Upper and Lower Control Arms, Panhard Bar, Eibach springs
Exhaust....tough with EPA now

Biggest bang for the buck are the gears!
I appreciate your help! I won't be looking for max HP with the Shelby. I wouldn't mind keeping it mostly stock for awhile. Just something I can get in and drive anywhere with a little hp.
OP...the 2013-2014 GT500 page on this site...is the best place on the planet to do your research. It would take months to read all the solid material located here.
Fly / drive out to Virginia Beach, VA and will let you drive mine.

Good luck on your search!
Thanks I'll start digging in! I may have to fly out and drive one back home!

Edit:

Hoping to purchase one by next spring.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is SVTP. Not a discussion with your significant other to justify the purchase.

GL in the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Hahaha.

I thought about selling my 90 coupe to help in purchasing a Shelby. But she says we aren't selling any cars.....

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
The 5.8 Engines are made of glass.
If you don't drive it hard it should be OK.

Hmmmm care to elaborate? From what i have seen, they are pretty stout and reliable. 800 rwhp seems to be the reliable max with limiting the rpms to 6-6250k. That really isn’t a engine made of glass imo.

OP: The 13-14’s are definitely top tier for that last gen’s of GT500’s imo. They are very fun cars even in stock form. I honestly couldn’t be happier with my 14

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

q6543

Established Member
I've only seen 5.... 4 either bent a rod or cracked a ringland... I don't believe any where making anywhere near 800... more like 700 wheel.
1 of those was a pretty famous ford tuners car at a roll race event.

1 bone stock one drives around the neighborhood and to car shows... just putz it around... wouldn't test it against a camry..

His seems to be holding up fine.
That's an 80% failure rate in my world.
Gt350 is ALMOST as bad... 3 out of 4.

Last edited:

fearthesnake

Established Member
I've only seen 5.... 4 either bent a rod or cracked a ringland... I don't believe any where making anywhere near 800... more like 700 wheel.

1 bone stock one drives around the neighborhood and to car shows... just putz it around... wouldn't test it against a camry..

Minority in my world. Been running 750rwhp for 6 years now and no issues. Along with 3 other friends and same results.

Like often noted,, don't over rev and run good gas.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The 5.8 Engines are made of glass.
If you don't drive it hard it should be OK.

I know of at least 6 '13/'14 GT500s, including mine, between Colo Spgs and Denver that are regularly driven in a "spirited" fashion. At least 3 of those are modded with the usual bolt-ons and a fourth added a VMP Gen1 S/C and lower pulley. The first three all make 700-750 RWHP, while the fourth makes north of 800RWHP. Three of us (with mods), including the "north of 800RWHP specimen," have run our cars in the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack and the Colorado Mile multiple times with ZERO problems. That's a 0% failure rate in my world.

While rods are probably the weakest link in our setups, the keys to longevity are tuner skill, quality fuel, and avoiding over-rev. If any of those is not followed, you're rolling the dice. IMO, that doesn't mean the block is "made of glass." It does, however, mean you need to know the limits of your configuration and drive it accordingly.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I know of at least 6 '13/'14 GT500s, including mine, between Colo Spgs and Denver that are regularly driven in a "spirited" fashion. At least 3 of those are modded with the usual bolt-ons and a fourth added a VMP Gen1 S/C and lower pulley. The first three all make 700-750 RWHP, while the fourth make north of 800RWHP. Three of us (with mods), including the "north of 800RWHP specimen," have run our cars in the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack and the Colorado Mile multiple times with ZERO problems. That's a 0% failure rate in my world.

While rods are probably the weakest link in our setups, the keys to longevity are tuner skill, quality fuel, and avoiding over-rev. If any of those is not followed, you're rolling the dice. IMO, that doesn't mean the block is "made of glass." It does, however, mean you need to know the limits of your configuration and drive it accordingly.
Well said, my old 13 GT500 that has a 3.6KB with E85 that made 827whp tuned by Lund is still running great to this day with the current owner, all on the stock engine, my current 14 GT500 was making low 800whp on E85 with a VMP Gen3 TVS and E85 tuned by Lund, the only reason I decided to build the engine is to make 1000whp. The 5.8 is a stout engine but people need to remember that good fuel is important, especially once you pulley down, I always recommend E85 if it's available and have a good tuner that knows these cars.

Users who are viewing this thread