Possibly adding to the stable...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hi Gang,

I am leaning heavily toward adding to the stable...i love the plaid as my daily, literally does nothing wrong and everything right. I have 2 motorcycles when I want to become a hooligan for a bit...i have the jeep gladiator for the winter.

I started looking at vipers a few weeks ago...still can't believe how prices have gone up on them...a few years ago 68-75k for the last gen and anything older was 40-60k...now an 02 rt/10 is 70k...lol...crazy stuff.

After driving one recently I realized I may have become a spoiled brat. Dear lord are those cars antiquated...felt like I was riding my kids dirt bike...haha. Anyways, to make a long story short i started looking at more modern sports cars/grand tourers...I am going to look at a 2021 Jaguar F-Type R on saturday...the link for it is below...thoughts? Anything else in that sort of category you guys would look at?

21 Jaguar F-Type R

LS WUT

Established Member
I think they’re a very well rounded car, I’ve driven a few of them. They have a sound that reminds me of the Maserati Gran turismo. They’re comfortable to me, I’m 6’0 205. Leg room is good too. They’re a little pricey down here though.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I have an F-Type R in our shop right now. Think it is a 2017. Guy bought it and immediately had to bring it in for $7k in work last year and it is in again for another few grand in work. I can't say that as a dig against the vehicle's quality cause he bought it used but we have had a few of them in the shop. I really like them and would love to have one but Jags still have some issues that land them in the shops often. If I had to choose I would go for a newer Vantage I think. Both are beautiful but the AM is just more exotic both will probably cost about the same in maintenance.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I have an F-Type R in our shop right now. Think it is a 2017. Guy bought it and immediately had to bring it in for $7k in work last year and it is in again for another few grand in work. I can't say that as a dig against the vehicle's quality cause he bought it used but we have had a few of them in the shop. I really like them and would love to have one but Jags still have some issues that land them in the shops often. If I had to choose I would go for a newer Vantage I think. Both are beautiful but the AM is just more exotic both will probably cost about the same in maintenance.
the one i am looking at has full warranty left and prepaid maint for 5 years...I do hear they can end up having issues but the owners also say it's worth it...the AM is def on my short list but do cost 20-30k more and are not quite as fast. both are badass. thanks for the feedback!

blk02edge

Established Member
Had me in the first half with wanting a car that's actually badass to admitting the Tesla made you soft and you want some modern sports coupe that are driven by men wearing pink shirts and Crocks

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I wouldn’t buy a jag. They are notorious for spending more time in the shop than on the road. I love the look of the F Type and the sound is pure heaven but the maintenance would drive me crazy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That Jag is a fine looking car. I like the interior a lot. You're covered for 5 years as far as maintenance and it's doubtful yours would spend too much time at the dealership for service. Sure, some do, but not all. If you really like it, go for it. Do you know why there's only 1806 miles on it, and why the previous owner traded it in/sold it?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I admire your vehicle exchange.
Can you list the last 10 cars you’ve had?
Serious question just trying to gauge what you may want.
Didn’t you have a newer GT500?
I have a ‘22 being built next month.
I mention that because the development engineer I met said they drove many cars during development process and he felt the 500 was closest to a fast grand touring ride like the AM GT (but faster and less refined, especially interior).
Last time I drove a Viper was a street coupe and then ACR at local track that was rented for half a day (M1 concourse). Several cool cars friends brought out but the sound of the Jag F type and the 350R were memorable. This was 2017-2018 range so the ‘21 may be updated but those Jags are loud and drift machines.
Good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That Jag is a fine looking car. I like the interior a lot. You're covered for 5 years as far as maintenance and it's doubtful yours would spend too much time at the dealership for service. Sure, some do, but not all. If you really like it, go for it. Do you know why there's only 1806 miles on it, and why the previous owner traded it in/sold it?
Many guys have connections to buy at MSRP and sell for more before first oil change. Or that’s as long as there interest lasts. I can try to relate but that’s not me.
-J

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My uncle has the R and beats the hell out of it and has had an issue in 50k miles. But it's too tight for me.
My short list of grand tourers

AMG GT, the looks and sound
SL63 massaging seats, heated air scarves.
2017+ Vantage V8
2013+ DBS or Virage

Dinosgt

Established Member
I owned a 2017 type R for a couple of years. Fantastic car.

Bought it from a dealer on the west coast, flew out, drove it roughly ~2000 miles home. That thing got 28-30 mpg at sustained elevated clips. I was shocked to see that in a 550 hp car. Had tons of torque all the time. Comfortable, smooth and very capable car.

Engine sounded fantastic. Burped and farted all the time on sport mode. On Quiet mode it’s was very civil (which I rarely used)...

Dragy had it running 1.79 60 foots, 3.4-3.5 0-60s and 11.51 qtrs. Pulled hard form any RPM.

A tune will get them over 600 hp and running low 11s. But I didn’t mess with it - I have other stuff to mod.

Overall - the car is a blast to drive and own.

Sold it once warranty expired - Stupid telematics system kept throwing codes and I didn’t want to deal with it.

In my 2 year, therefore limited experience - it was one of the best cars I have ever owned - but I couldn’t speak to long term ownership, as mine had about 30k on it when I sold it.

(The thing seemed to randomly throw O2 codes once in a blue moon, but I just reset them and they wouldn’t come back for months - I think the aggressive off throttle popping caused them at times. No harm done - just reset them.

I think there was a TSB on it, but it required a dealer flash that got rid of the pops and farts - so I never did it).

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Love the Jaguar F Type R cars.
Nasty.

The Vipers are a nasty machine as well, but really raw. I saw one about 3 weeks ago. A GTS car. WOW, I feel in love instantly. Sounded so good and looked so good.

Users who are viewing this thread