possible rail dust or something else?

VtekII

Established Member
My brother has an 07 ram 2500. he just got it earlier last summer. when he was washing it a few days ago noticed little specks of rust everywhere, most severe in the rear and gradually getting less towards the front. I know the kid he bought it from worked for an oil refinery in Oklahoma.

To me it sounds like rail dust, as i understand it anyways, ive never really seen it in real life.

Any help the paint guru's can give me/us?

thanks alot!
eric

Mika

Established Member
Rail dust is usually most prevalent on horizontal surfaces(roof, trunk, hood), but it's possible. If it bothers him, I'd suggest a good wash/claybar/wax session and see if that helps. I have an '09 G8 GT that had rail dust on it, and a good claybarring took care of it.

Mika

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
I know when I went a little to long on replacing the brakes on my old beater Lincoln the grinding of the non existent pads on the rotors caused little specks of "rust" to go all over the car. Was a total bitch to remove.

VtekII

Established Member
that is a possibility that its from his brakes i suppose, is the MOTHERS clay bar good enough to get this stuff out?

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
I didnt use a clay bar but I want to say I used rubbing compound. Then waxed the area afterwards. Be careful with the rubbing compound though it can be kinda harsh but should remove the specks of crap on the paint.

VtekII

Established Member
ya, ill probably buff the living hell out of it for him this summer, its got a lot of little scratches here and there

VtekII

Established Member
thanks, ive tried the Mothers one before and wasnt really that impressed. hopefully this better one will do the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread