Possible problem with many ford cars from 91-2003

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
News vid
Its and interesting story. I havent gone out to the cobra to see if it has a similar switch if it does I very well may disconnect it for safe measures. Anyone else have any more info on this.

JerseyGT

Jerseys Finest Ttop
Established Member
page error, hook it up, is it about stangs? I gotta foxbody. Hit me up JerseyGT20 on AIM

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Is it because of the cruise control?

Ford recalls 792,000 vehicles
Says some Expeditions, Navigators and pickups with speed control switches could catch fire.
January 27, 2005: 1:16 PM EST

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it was recalling about 792,000 pickup trucks and sport/utility vehicles because of a fire risk from overheating of the speed control switch.
The recall involves some of Ford (down $0.13 to $13.22, Research)'s biggest money-makers, 2000 model-year F-150 pickup trucks, Expedition and Navigator SUVs, and 2001 model-year F-Series Supercrew pickup trucks equipped with speed control.

Overheating of the speed control switches may spark fires under the hood of the vehicles, Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley said. "We did determine the switch may be susceptible to overheating," Kinley added.

One person may have been injured in connection with the recalled vehicles, according to Ford.

The automaker will be notifying the owners of the vehicles in the beginning of February to have the electrical connector from the speed control switches disconnected, Kinley said.

Ford is in the process of acquiring replacement speed control switches, according to the automaker.

"Once replacement switches are available, we will issue a second owner notification to have the switch replaced and the speed control reconnected," Ford said in a statement.

Last month, Ford recalled more than 600,000 Escapes and Mazda Tribute SUVs from the 2002-2004 model years because the accelerator cable may prevent the engine from returning to idle, which could increase stopping distance and result in a crash.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
doesnt sound like a big deal to me, never heard of it. any vehicle MAY catch fire. I never knew anyone with a Ford to have a problem, but my Mazda RX7TT, my neighbor's Accord Coupe, and two of my buddies 300ZX's went up in flames for no reason.

70's dude

Poster
Established Member
How about that poor guy who had half his house burn down because his 2004 truck caught fire in the garage, just sitting in there not having been run recently.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
70's dude said:
How about that poor guy who had half his house burn down because his 2004 truck caught fire in the garage, just sitting in there not having been run recently.

sounds to me he had "gap" on his loan and he might have wanted out :shrug:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
chunkysoup said:
how does it overheat?
:shrug:

The vehicles don't even have to be running. They could just be sitting in some parking lot and go up on flames.

FORD: Found On Road Dead :poke:

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I cant get the link to work but yeah thats whats been going on. According to the news the same switch is on a number of ford vehicles from 91-2003

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
Canoodler said:
:shrug:

The vehicles don't even have to be running. They could just be sitting in some parking lot and go up on flames.

FORD: Found On Road Dead :poke:
Ouch, I guess they should be Forb now :burn: Maybe they d\should get rid of cruise control. Would that help?

Users who are viewing this thread