Possible PCS to CA, questions...

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I'm USAF possible getting a position at Port Hueneme with the Seabees. Got a Cobra (see sig) that WON'T EVEN COME CLOSE to passing any type of smog. Also have a 2012 Harley with aftermarket pipes/intake/tune etc. Eveything currently registered in AK, still no problem for AD living in Cali to have liscence/vehicles registered out of state? I was at Vandenberg up until 03, just making sure they haven't changed the rules or that they are different for Navy bases.

Thx!

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
It shouldnt be a problem as long as your car is insured and registered in a state that doesnt require California nazi laws. There are plenty of people running around Ft. Polk with no state inspection sticker from states that dont have one, like Tennessee. I think your good.

50 Proof

Established Member
It is possible for a highway patrol officer to pull you over, ask to look at your car, and send you to a referee. It happened to my buddy in his cobra and the officer wouldn't back off until he told the officer he's a star smog tech and personally knows the referee. Would it happen to you with out it state plates? That's a gamble your have to be willing to take. I will say though That chp is getting more aggressive about pulling over modified Cars.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The problem is you think the things done to your car are only illegal in CA. Theyre not.

These are things you have removed that are an offense on the federal level. Just because you are from AK doesnt mean these laws do not apply to you just because AK doesnt have active smog regulations.

You may be safe from having to smog your car every 2 years in CA, but you are not safe from getting dinged by a pissed off cop who wants to cite you for every violation you have. Last I heard, removal of catalytic converts was up to $4k, PER OFFENSE. 4 cats per car, you do the math.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The problem is you think the things done to your car are only illegal in CA. Theyre not.

These are things you have removed that are an offense on the federal level. Just because you are from AK doesnt mean these laws do not apply to you just because AK doesnt have active smog regulations.

You may be safe from having to smog your car every 2 years in CA, but you are not safe from getting dinged by a pissed off cop who wants to cite you for every violation you have. Last I heard, removal of catalytic converts was up to $4k, PER OFFENSE. 4 cats per car, you do the math.

Yup, doesn't matter what state the car is registered in, it is required to have all smog equipment on the car. Some states just don't require periodic smog checks. It's why some of those states still require a smog when you purchase the vehicle. I have found for the most part that as long as your not screwing around and driving stupid, cops leave you alone. People still get pulled over for it though.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Ya that's why I already have plans to swap my entire running gear into a 67/68 fastback to include the IRS if possible and turn the cobra into a BBF turbo drag car. Either that or trade it for an already built pre smog car. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread