possible new clutch/TOB, built T45?

BlownTBird

Established Member
So the other day, after a little bit of spirited driving and a few hard shifts, my car starts making a new noise. It's not super loud or noticible, but when going from zero to light throttle, or at wide open throttle, my car makes a mild "tapping" noise almost. It's not coming from the engine I'm convinced, and I'm pretty sure it's the throw out bearing (at 70k miles, I think it's about time). I'm still on the original clutch, so I figure it's time for a new clutch, tob, etc etc that go along with that. Additionally, I've had a little trouble with grinding second gear, especially when cold or at high rpm quick shifts. It's not driver error, I've been deliberate to push in the clutch all the way and then slam it from first to second. My clutch has been adjusted with no improvement. I'm pretty sure what I'm describing is a bad or on the way out 2nd gear syncro. If I'm doing the clutch, I think it's worth my while to tackle the trans while I'm at it. What are your guys' recommendations for a stronger rebuilt T45 (I'm thinking promotion?) and clutch ass'y?

Thanks

Quin

Established Member
Promotion T45s are supposed to be good. Haven't run one, no comment on that. I ran a stock 03/04 clutch, flywheel and pressure plate and I liked it a lot. However, I prefer a firm clutch pedal, and it was definitely pretty stiff. The main thing to look at clutch wise is how much power it needs to hold. Are you stock or mostly so, and are you planning on staying that way?

b00sted4v

Established Member
Just recently got mine built @ the t45 source, In the process of getting the car running now so will see how I like it.

P.S. I have a stage 2 spec clutch for sale for $200 plus shipping. Brand new in the box. Paid just over $400 for it

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
I just blow up my t45 three weeks ago doing that. Anyways I swapped out with the tremic tr5630 out of my 03 gt. I would go a head and throw a new tob if you want to do the clutch and the sycros could be going bad in second?

Users who are viewing this thread