Possible "broken" tranny in italy

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Cliffnotes below. . .

Ok so, I know pretty close to nothing about transmissions, so I'll just give you guys the rundown and hopefully I can get some clarification.

I've got my 30k mile 03 out here in Italy where I'm stationed. Probably the worst decision I've ever made was bring it out, but that's beside the point. I usually keep her garaged and maybe make a quick drive every few weeks to a month just to get the fluids movin and whatnot. So the wife and I took her our to Pompei last week, about a 30 minute drive, almost all highway. The drive was beautiful, no problems the entire way. I pulled back into my house and this is where the trouble began.

I opened the gate and began to back out when the car julted to a stop and I heard a huge gringing sound. It sounded EXACTLY like I had run into a concrete pylon or something and was scraping it on the ground. I got out of the car to inspect with absolutly no thought in my mind that something could be broken. It litterally sounded like something was stuck under the car, and there wasnt.

So I shrugged it off and started driving back to base, no problems for about 2 miles until I downshifted to take a left turn, nothing crazy, and about halfway through the turn the gringing came back and it popped out of gear. Once again, sounded like i hit something and I was dragging it under the car. Got out, once again everything looks fine and I'm begining to suspect something else.

Now keep in mind, I'm a pretty automotivally savvy guy, and I tell you this sounded weird. Like I hit a road cone and it was dragging under the car, not the usual gears grinding. Anyhow, I keep driving, same thing happens almost to base, about another 2 miles away. Downshift to take a roight turn, grinds, pops out of gear, and not it won't go back in. I slam down on the clutch and I really had to force it in to pop the shifter into gear. Won't drive. Yay. It's in gear but not moving, I'm kinda thinkin clutch at this point. Until I go back to neutral, back to first, runs fine, for a minute. I get through the gate, and it starts "jolting", that's the only way I can describe it. It feels like the gears aren't catching right or something along those lines.

Here's the kicker, Idling in neutral, the transmission clunks, hard and loud, and the car shudders. Like the gears are catching when it's in neutral. I can feel it in the shifter too. Had the auto hobby shop guys on base look at it, they all say it's the tranny.

Here's the even bigger kicker, I took it out yesterday to show one of my friends that's a mechanic, everything works fine, only thing different is that it seems a little hard to get into first, but it could be my head looking for something to be wrong. Drove it for 20 minutes, even semi-launched and downshifted moderatly hard. Everything fine. I'm confused.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Clifnotes.
-Low mile 03 Cobra in italy
-Rarely drive
-took a trip
-think transmission is shot
-but now drives fine'
-confusion ensues

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
maybe a throw out bearing, BUT with how its acting (was messed up one day, then drove pretty normal the next day) you might've broken the keys in one of your syncro's which is what happened in mine not too long ago. your best bet is going to be to drop the tranny and open the front cover (if its not a tob or retainer tube thats taken a crap) and physically look for anything that seems out of the ordinary. when i took the front cover off i could see pieces of the keys sitting in the bottom of my transmission.

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
btw even though it drives fine now i highly do not recommend you drive on it anymore. i lucked out and no pieces of the keys got caught in the teeth of any gears, therefore those werent damaged. pull the transmission the next time you get a chance. itll take about two friends and a tranny jack to make things a little easier, although a tranny jack isnt needed. and its easier to leave the bellhousing attached to the car when you take it out.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
same thing happened to my car in june of last year. Car caught in gear and was difficult to take out of 4th gear, when in "neutral" and the clutch pedal disengaged there was a grinding noise.

upon removal and inspection, a synchro key had broken off 3rd gear and shot through my tansmission, taking out 2, 3, 4th gears and my counter shaft gears. basically destroying the trans.

With a repair bill and upgrade bill of $2500, (full rebuild kit, 2-4 gear assy, countershaft assy, 26 spline upgrade) I instead purchased a used T56 magnum from a forum member and ordered a Dynotech driveshaft to fit the trans. 2600 bucks in all.

Long story short, stop driving it, and get the transmission disassembled and inspected. Its cheaper to replace synchro keys/rebuild kit than pay 150 per gear destroyed and pony up 350 for another countershaft...

And prepare to purchase a T56 if that has already occured

Last edited:

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
I'm hopefully going to be able to get it up on a lift this weekend and I'll drop it and pop the front cover off and take a look. Ill make sure to take a few pictures. It there anything in specific I should look for, other than debris?

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
before i dropped mine, i had never seen the inside of a tranny, and didnt know what i was looking for and i was able to clearly identify what was wrong as soon as i took it off. if the keys are broken your gonna want someone else to take it apart to make sure no other damage was caused by the broken keys

Users who are viewing this thread