ported superchargers

biggyman6

pumpkin
Established Member
i was just wondering what they do when they port our superchargers....and what does it mean when someone says they have an apten supercharger or a steigmeir one..i read on the apten site where you send them your supercharger and then they send one back...is it the same stock one or is it different..and what do they do to it..they said it looks like the stock one so i am assuming that its a totally new one...i am going to get the charger ported and just wanted some help..thanks guys

RiffRaff04

Established Member
They basically smooth out the inside of it to flow air more efficiently, this = more power. When you see Apten/Amazon/Stiegemeier/ or whoever, that is who did the porting job. To the best of my knowledge Stieggy did the porting for Apten but no longer does it. If you send off your blower then you get your blower back. I believe that most of the companys have a core exchange program where they send you one while yours is getting ported. This is also a very low profile mod, unless you get it poshished the only way someone will know you have it done is if they know what they are looking for(ie. the stamping and numbering under the snout).
ps you wont regret doing this mod! :burnout:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
It's a lot more than just cutting the bottom out. The area by the TB is seriously hogged out, the ceiling (above the rotors) is relieved, a lot. Quite a bit of blending and hand grinding. Apten did mine (through Stegmeier, early '04) and I could not have been happier with the result.

biggyman6

pumpkin
Established Member
how much did you guys pay for something like this..i saw on the apten site that it cost like 500 bucks..is that about right or is it more...i appreciate your input..ill be doing mine real soon...did you guys take the blower off yourselves or go somewhere to do it...mine is up for the winter so i dont drive it and now would be the best time to do it....how long does it take? thanks again guys

RiffRaff04

Established Member
I know steggy is doing a special till next month some time for like $395 for the sc and $495 for t/b and sc.If you arent gonna buy a new t/b I would definately go for porting both of them. For that price you cant beat those resluts. Me and some friends from the local mustang club took mine off. Took about 1hr to do. Its really not that hard of a job(trust me, im not very mechanically inclined).

biggyman6

pumpkin
Established Member
after talking to you riffraff i checked out that steggy site...do they sell new throttle bodies that they will port and polish for you....wouldnt it be best to get a bigger t/b if im gonna be doing lots of mods? i saw the special...looks like one heck of a deal...im not too handy with tools yet..still learning....so i may have my work cut out for me...i will definately get it done...does it require anything afterwards as far as like a tune or anything else that goes hand and hand with the porting? the car is stock right now....but it wont be in a month. thanks..i appreciate your advice

RiffRaff04

Established Member
one things you need to ask yourself is how far to you wanna take this and how much $ you have to burn. anyway. I got my accufab through south florida pulley hq. I would recomend getting a new t/b and plenum if you plan on doing lots of upgrades, it tends to make more power. As far as the tune goes you will need a new one with the porting. Are you planning on getting a pulley anytime soon? If so I would get the blower ported and get the pulley on at the same time so you only have to pay for one tune. Also if you do the blower port/ pulley upgrade you might be comming close to maxing out you MAF and fuel systems. Food for thought.good luck

biggyman6

pumpkin
Established Member
what is a MAF? a guy told me that a ford dealership in clinton illinois was the place to go to get the chip and pulley put on? i wont be going there till springtime....would it be a good idea oto drive after getting the blower ported along with the t/b and plenum? or would i be risking it? i was planning on getting the things ported and then when it got warmer out, taking it to clinton to that dealership to have the predator chip put on and a pulley..i guess i should find out if there is reputable place here that would do it...any thoughts?

RiffRaff04

Established Member
mass airlfow sensor. Once you hit a certain hp mark you peg it out at like 4.9 or 5v (something like that).I wouldnt recomend driving it around without a good tune on it cause you can damage your engine. As far as the complexity of doing the predator and pulley those are probably the 2 easiest things to do on our cars, heres the pulley removal
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70595
this one is the sc removal
http://www.apten-us.com/performance/03cobra/install.asp
and the predator is a tunning tool that just plugs into the diagnostic port on the drivers side of the car. check these out
http://www.amazonracing.com/whatsnew.html (i strongly recomend these guys,got my pulleys,tune,predator, focus pumps, and mafxtender from em)
http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/
ps use the search feature :read: it will answer a ton of questions

Last edited:

biggyman6

pumpkin
Established Member
thank you so much...im new to this stuff and its nice to know that someone is willing to help me out....i appreciate the input and will keep you updated as to what i find out..thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread