Ported GT350 intake

ANGREY

Established Member
Can't find anyone who's done this.

Most have seen the write up where the 2018 intake (ported) beat all other intakes (including the infamous Cobra Jet) in both power and torque.

There's a vendor nearby who's doing intake porting for $300. Given that the CJ requires hood modification (and/or lower motor mounts) as well as losing the strut brace, I'm thinking the best N/A option for maximum power would be either the 2018 ported (if it will fit/match) OR keep the GT350 intake and do ported (and/or lockouts).

Thoughts

96gt02

Established Member
The GT350 intake is only slightly better then the 18 intake and is really meant for some higher flowing heads IMO, so Id stick with what you can get cheaper and have it ported.

ANGREY

Established Member
Maybe you're not understanding. I already have a GT350 intake (along with the rest of the car). I'm wondering if it would be worth the time and money ($300) to have it ported. If not, I'm wondering if an 18+ ported intake is a better option than the Cobra Jet due to the fact that I could theoretically keep my tower brace (assuming the 18 matches the ports on the 350 heads).

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You’d lose velocity and low end to where it would feel slower everywhere except about 7000.

Unless you complemented that with head/cam work to hit 9k rpm, and went very high rpm route, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Intake velocity vs high rpm volume is a very tricky balancing act better to have enough velocity for lower rpm power draw and production than a little extra top end. Ford has a very good factory intake for up to 8500rpm.

96gt02

Established Member
Oh well definitely dont get an 18 intake for a gt350 lol, yours is better now, porting what you have might pickup 5-10 HP but obviously a CJ is the best you can go NA

ANGREY

Established Member
Oh well definitely dont get an 18 intake for a gt350 lol, yours is better now, porting what you have might pickup 5-10 HP but obviously a CJ is the best you can go NA

Maybe.

Judging from comparison tests, the 18 (ported) performed the best (even better than the vaunted Cobra Jet). The stock 18 was up there with the GT350 intake.

I think those tests were done on a coyote motor and not a voodoo, so maybe the performance order changes a bit.

Going Cobra Jet is a pain in the ass from multiple perspectives. It creates hood clearance issues, it costs a bloody fortune (both intake and different throttle body)and it forces me to ditch the tower brace.

Going 18 ported is half the cost for the intake. Only question is will it match up with the ports on the voodoo.

The gt350 intake probably doesn't have enough "meat" in the plastic to really get much from porting (and I think it's already port matched from the factory) so it would probably be just deburring or smoothing any ABS related mold imperfections.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
With proper tuning, especially on E85, the Cobra Jet will outperform all of them. Take the results from that test with a grain of salt. The swap is a pain for sure, so I still wouldn’t recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96gt02

Established Member
That VMP test was a joke, do not base any decisions on that.

ANGREY

Established Member
That VMP test was a joke, do not base any decisions on that.

MAYBE.

Just an anecdotal point though, guy in our mustang club has a CJ on his 5.0. I asked him how much he picked up and he said he lost power. I was shocked, so I asked him who his tuner is and after a lengthy discussion he's convinced it was truly a step down. They've come a long way with the 18 intake.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe.

Judging from comparison tests, the 18 (ported) performed the best (even better than the vaunted Cobra Jet). The stock 18 was up there with the GT350 intake.

I think those tests were done on a coyote motor and not a voodoo, so maybe the performance order changes a bit.

Going Cobra Jet is a pain in the ass from multiple perspectives. It creates hood clearance issues, it costs a bloody fortune (both intake and different throttle body)and it forces me to ditch the tower brace.

Going 18 ported is half the cost for the intake. Only question is will it match up with the ports on the voodoo.

The gt350 intake probably doesn't have enough "meat" in the plastic to really get much from porting (and I think it's already port matched from the factory) so it would probably be just deburring or smoothing any ABS related mold imperfections.

What was the test car? A gt350 or a Mustang GT?

Users who are viewing this thread