Ported Eaton Results E-85 VS 110 Octane

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Cant just "throw more fuel at it" for the guys who've had MAXXED ported for years. Most have a BAP/MAYBE 60lb'ers/ MAFia.

My set up was maxed at 489/540 on pump.....I "threw" more /better fuel at it along with timing and picked up about 37rwhp/34rwtq across the entire band... we made 5-6 pulls in an hour and a half my downstream temps were in the 80's and the blower was only warm to the touch. I had the fuel system to handle the requirements of the eaton so that is all I had to do is add fuel.....

These are similar gains by upgrading to a ported blower. So if you have the fuel system why not. It did not take me any effort.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Understandable. But if you are already upgrading your fuel system anyway to make more power, then it does make sense.

And if you look at one fill up of 110 @ $8.50 per gallon, that = $127.50 Per Fill Up!

Compared to $37.50 for E85.

That alone is $90 more PER TANK of fuel. :eek:

10 tanks of fuel would pay for the upgrade in most cases.

Certainly NOWADAYS if your upgrading your fuel system there is ZERO reason not to prepare for E85. But for those who have already done mods to max the eaton...RE-DOING them JUST for E85 is pointless IMO.

HOWEVER, you could certainly upgrade the fuel for E-85 with the plans to go twinscrew in the future (which will be my personal route) IMO this is the only way to go, in which case, it can be costly to some folks, becaus you can still get ~600HP out of a TS with BAP/60's/MAFia of some kind, MAYBE GT pumps.

I personally still want to see some of you MAXXED TS guys on Corn, and Juice. :lol: :rockon: But in all reality thats plain silly talk. :lol1:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
My set up was maxed at 489/540 on pump.....I "threw" more /better fuel at it along with timing and picked up about 37rwhp/34rwtq across the entire band... we made 5-6 pulls in an hour and a half my downstream temps were in the 80's and the blower was only warm to the touch. I had the fuel system to handle the requirements of the eaton so that is all I had to do is add fuel.....

These are similar gains by upgrading to a ported blower. So if you have the fuel system why not. It did not take me any effort.

What fuel mods before and after? The same?

So your saying you were MAXXED on pump and just switched to E85? No added fuel mods? You had enough FPDC to do this? :shrug:

Edit - I have 'plenty' of fuel for my 502 and 565 on bottle. But there is no way on Gods green earth I could just ADD E85. I have yet to see anyone. :read:

Edit - I see your fuel mods now. Fore Hat/ GT's / Dual FPDM / 60's (other thread), Most do NOT go this far on their ported eaton INITIAL Fuel setup. :beer:

Last edited:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Yeah I agree no one beef up the fuel system all out for the eaton ha ha it was for my turbo set up. And I want to be ready for the big power adder upgrade. This is some good fuel my downstream temps were well over 20 deg cooler.

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
HOWEVER, you could certainly upgrade the fuel for E-85 with the plans to go twinscrew (or turbo) in the future (which will be my personal route) IMO this is the only way to go, in which case, it can be costly to some folks, :

:lol:

Yeah I agree no one beef up the fuel system all out for the eaton ha ha it was for my turbo set up. .

:lol1:

BINGO. :beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Graph comparing but not a lot to see. Pulls stop at about 6,400 rpm's.

11811.jpg

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Brian, what changes was made for this Cobra to run E85? ...Injectors, any change to the fuel system??

None it's my car and has stock fuel lines, rails, 63lb injectors, Twin GT pumps, wiring upgrade, stock hat, pprv, and a 40amp bap to finish it off.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^+/- 250 track passes and right at 130:eek: full dyno pulls. Doing a compression check again very soon lol. I'll guess it's the same as three years ago still. If not then new motor time!:thumbsup:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Compression checked pretty much the same as usual or just a hair better on 2 cylinders. Wow!:rockon: Gotta love Amsoil. 150 shot here I come baby lol.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
e-85

^+/- 250 track passes and right at 130:eek: full dyno pulls. Doing a compression check again very soon lol. I'll guess it's the same as three years ago still. If not then new motor time!:thumbsup:

im so glad you and your tuner are getting familiar with e-85, i got his number from you a few weeks back and i am for sure switching to e-85 and im taking my car to him as soon as the weather breaks,i already added my third gss-342 pump and im just waiting for all the snow to melt, so he can do some driveability tuning , my last tuner had two atempts and still not right :??:,anyway i have to say ive spent hundreds on race fuel and im over it, there is and e-85 station 23 miles from my house, so i cant wait to save $70 dollars everytime i go to the track or go racing:pepper:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
In every test I have seen E85 cars make more power than race gas. Period!Here's one that didn't lol.

i dont understand that statement. e-85 produced a higher number than 110, so then it DID make more power.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^1 to 2hp? I'd call that a wash.

Quote:
25*'s of timing

E-85-----------------517hp and 516hp

110 Octane-----------510hp and 515hp

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
i dont understand that statement. e-85 produced a higher number than 110, so then it DID make more power.

I think this is bc most people are testing it against 93 and then when using E85 can run more timing. Posi's car runs full timing on race gas already so where are the benefits?

We have all seen the TS crowd pick up power...I haven't seen an inefficient Eaton car do back to back tests yet or even one that made some kind of significant power over regular gas. I'll still try it in a couple months but I think Ill get the same results as Posi.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I think this is bc most people are testing it against 93 and then when using E85 can run more timing. Posi's car runs full timing on race gas already so where are the benefits?

We have all seen the TS crowd pick up power...I haven't seen an inefficient Eaton car do back to back tests yet or even one that made some kind of significant power over regular gas. I'll still try it in a couple months but I think Ill get the same results as Posi.
Timing is not the only reason E85 makes more power.

I have personally seen a KB 2.8H car running 22* timing make 785 on C16. Drained fuel retuned and with 22* on E85 make 846 RWHP first pull.

Yes I know this is another twin screw car but it does show it works!

Try to do that with ANY fuel that you can get at the pump for around $2.50 per gallon. There is none!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
E-85-----------------517hp and 516hp More Power!

110 Octane-----------510hp and 515hp

Quote:
22*'s of timing
E-85---------------------512hp More Power!

110 Octane---------------500hp

Quote:
20*'s of timing
E-85------------------500hp More Power!

110 Octane-----------485hp
Any questions?

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I agree it's a no brainer for the price. Some of us just don't have the fuel systems to just switch.

how much power you're making on pump posi? and what timing 20-21?? i made 502whp@ 21 degrees..i was also thinking for my next mod to do a race gas tune..so 25degrees is max for what this cars can take on race gas?im leaning on race gas for now for the same reason..dont want to change my entire fuel system now..also$$$$..

Last edited:

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
e-85

ok im confused, everybody is defending e-85 because someone says it only made a couple more hp, said it was a wash(posi), even if it made the exact same power its still 60-70 % cheaper than 110 or c-13, yes you use a little more fuel , im more curious as to how much posi's duty cycle went up since he is still returnless and ran the exact same fuel system for both fuels, clearly premium gas is on the rise again , and if available to them, who wouldnt want an extra 15-30 hp for the same price they are paying for gas now, i mean nobody has talked about his fuel system, he has 60's, bap,modified fpdm, twin gt pumps, thats not that much for a heavily ported eaton car, i mean youn dont really get into spending alot til you talk about return style with new rails and fuel line and fittings and fore hats, seems to me that what he proved is pretty awesome for the eaton guys, if you want a race gas tune all the time and you have access to e-85 you could do it for about $900 if you shopped around for some used parts, thats starting from scratch most ported eaton guys go overkill anyway and already have a bap and fpdm and gt pumps , or maybe im just missing something LOL

Users who are viewing this thread