Ported Eaton Results E-85 VS 110 Octane

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Car was ran cool all day and the pulls were started at 178*'s for the coolant temps. IAT's stayed the same or close to the same on every pull or or my Tuner did another pull. Big thanks to Blankenship Tuning and Performance for doing all of the testing in one day.

E-85 actually tested at E-93 and I've checked it 3 times.

110 Octane is "Mach Series" made by Competition Race Fuels.

25*'s of timing

E-85-----------------517hp and 516hp

110 Octane-----------510hp and 515hp

22*'s of timing
E-85---------------------512hp

110 Octane---------------500hp

20*'s of timing
E-85------------------500hp

110 Octane-----------485hp

I can't really get torque numbers because the car is an Auto now and the converter doesn't grab until 4,600 rpm's. Sorry. Above that the torque matches though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
great info for the E85 crowd

I will still try it come March.

Figured you would.:lol1:

cheap race gas! :rockon:

With an expensive fuel system upgrade for a lot of people. I'm staying with the Race Gas for a while longer. Will be switching to unleaded though for next season.

Great info, Brian.

Could you notice any cooling benefits of the E85 compared to the 110?

As in? Can't be a decrease in IAT 2's or downstreams because the fuel injector is after the IAT 2's sensor.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Obviously we've known for a while that E85's benefits are from cooling, and with the octane comes the ability to bump the timing.

BUT.

With the needs that a car has with going to E85 on a MAX Ported eaton car, and ONLY gaining 17HP from 5* timing again makes me question the value on an eaton car...... :read:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Obviously we've known for a while that E85's benefits are from cooling, and with the octane comes the ability to bump the timing.

BUT.

With the needs that a car has with going to E85 on a MAX Ported eaton car, and ONLY gaining 17HP from 5* timing again makes me question the value on an eaton car...... :read:

I didn't even look at it that way

from 20* to 25* on E85 the car picked up 15-16hp

from 20* to 25* on 110 the car picked up 25-30hp

where are the E85 guys now? Im curious about this....

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member

BUT.

i was wondering the same thing. nice observation. in the eaton's defense though, it is amazing that it can even perform this well.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
The way I'm looking at it is that it made more HP in every test with the E85, what's wrong with that? This IS through the auto so I'm guessing the gap would be a little more with a 6-speed? Most of the guys running the eaton are trying to get every last ounce of power out of it so I don't see why this isn't something you'd want to do regardless if it made a little more or a lot more? Those #'s are freakin awesome IMO without cams or headwork on the car too!

And to BADASS03SVT, I keep seeing it but forget to mention... update your time for car!

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
True, so maybe like 25hp from the 5*?? Still not impressive for the effort needed.

I don't see why not? Posi and others have been trying for years to come up with new and better ports to get every last ounce of HP out of the little old Eaton and everybody loves it(myself included). Why is this not significant? People are trying to break records and this can definitely help push them further. Let's also not forget it's much cheaper than race gas and you get that power with pump gas availability. So, if someone decides to go this route they can run the car with that extra 25hp and 5* of timing ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
True, so maybe like 25hp from the 5*?? Still not impressive for the effort needed.

What effort? You are getting your car tuned anyway, why not just throw some more fuel at it? My car picked up almost 37rwhp and 34rwtq from 91 octane. I had valve issues but that was not because of the tune. I had always had a bit of engine noise to begin with after I put in the used motor so it was something that eventually was going to happen.

Not peak gains either it was damn near the whole rpm range. My car made 500+ torque from like 2.2k-5.5k rpms. With my pulley combo the eaton was running out of stem up top with 91octane,falling just before 6k with the E85 it remained flat. If I had a 4lb lower I would have lost a tad bit of torque but would have got back some HP up top.

It you have a fuel system to support a future upgrade to a ts, and have E85 available there is bot much effort to take advantage.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Guys the 110 octane at 25*'s was within 2hp of the E-85 at 25*'s.

So Race Gas is cheaper than a new fuel system if you would have to upgrade for the E-85.

Now if you want all that hp on the street then sure E-85 would be better and cheaper in the long run. Then again on the street chances are the car will be hot and it'll pull timing anyways with this pulley combo. Always better to pulley for less if you street race.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
What effort? You are getting your car tuned anyway, why not just throw some more fuel at it?

Cant just "throw more fuel at it" for the guys who've had MAXXED ported for years. Most have a BAP/MAYBE 60lb'ers/ MAFia.

Gonna take new pumps, 80's, and maybe lines pending the car, among POSSIBLE other things..... thats IF you have it (E85)readily accessible. :read:

For a TS car I can see it for sure. :beer:

Guys the 110 octane at 25*'s was within 2hp of the E-85 at 25*'s.

So Race Gas is cheaper than a new fuel system if you would have to upgrade for the E-85.

Now if you want all that hp on the street then sure E-85 would be better and cheaper in the long run. Then again on the street chances are the car will be hot and it'll pull timing anyways with this pulley combo. Always better to pulley for less if you street race.

This ^

I still feel nitrous is the best "gas" for a maxxed ported car that gets light street/track duty. JMO.

And theres liitle to no info on both together......yet.......
... *cough*BADASS*cough*

:beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
First off, thanks for trying this Brian.

The question at hand was does E85 outperform Race Gas? In simple terms. Yes!

110 Octane = $8.50-$11.50 per Gallon. E85 = $2.50 per gallon.

110 Octane does Nothing for cooling the intake charge. E85 cools the intake charge so no need to "Pull Timing" (If you did then the test is skewed anyway)

Another thing to note is that this is "1" car with what we believe is E93. :??:

Another thing is we are only looking at are "Peak Numbers" What about under the curve?

In every test I have seen E85 cars make more power than race gas. Period!

With the availability of getting it right at the pump for much less than race gas, it's a no brainer.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
First off, thanks for trying this Brian.Your welcome.

The question at hand was does E85 outperform Race Gas? In simple terms. Yes!In this test how? I'd have to upgrade to run it with my nitrous.

110 Octane = $8.50-$11.50 per Gallon. E85 = $2.50 per gallon.

110 Octane does Nothing for cooling the intake charge. E85 cools the intake charge so no need to "Pull Timing" (If you did then the test is skewed anyway)Trust me when my car is dyno'd it never pulls timing. If so then it doesn't make the pull.

Another thing to note is that this is "1" car with what we believe is E93. :??:I checked and rechecked so yes it's E-93 for some unknown reason.

Another thing is we are only looking at are "Peak Numbers" What about under the curve? Under the curve on my car starts at 4,600 rpm's or so because of the converter. After that the graphs are identical pretty much.

In every test I have seen E85 cars make more power than race gas. Period!Here's one that didn't lol.

With the availability of getting it right at the pump for much less than race gas, it's a no brainer.

I agree it's a no brainer for the price. Some of us just don't have the fuel systems to just switch.

HotStart

Fastest Stock Daytona
Established Member
As in? Can't be a decrease in IAT 2's or downstreams because the fuel injector is after the IAT 2's sensor.

Though it's likely you didn't see any, this isn't entirely true. at higher injector duty cycles, sometimes enough fuel can puddle on the closed intake valve to the point which when it evaporates it can cool the charge air to a measurable degree (remember that perhaps the greatest benefit of ethanol is its latent vaporization of heat property in comparison to gasoline). On cars which have the IAT sensor mounted in a runner, it is possible to see a IAT drop with ethanol compared to gasoline. I believe I remember Eric Brooks experiencing this at some point, I'll see if I can find the specific thread if anyone is interested...

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Cant just "throw more fuel at it" for the guys who've had MAXXED ported for years. Most have a BAP/MAYBE 60lb'ers/ MAFia.

Gonna take new pumps, 80's, and maybe lines pending the car, among POSSIBLE other things..... thats IF you have it (E85)readily accessible. :read:

For a TS car I can see it for sure. :beer:

This ^

I still feel nitrous is the best "gas" for a maxxed ported car that gets light street/track duty. JMO.

And theres liitle to no info on both together......yet.......
... *cough*BADASS*cough*

:beer:

couple more months....:beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I agree it's a no brainer for the price. Some of us just don't have the fuel systems to just switch.
Understandable. But if you are already upgrading your fuel system anyway to make more power, then it does make sense.

And if you look at one fill up of 110 @ $8.50 per gallon, that = $127.50 Per Fill Up!

Compared to $37.50 for E85.

That alone is $90 more PER TANK of fuel. :eek:

10 tanks of fuel would pay for the upgrade in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread