Ported Eaton Pulley Size and Power Question

carguy96

Established Member
So long story short, my car came with what seems like a poorly ported Eaton that is in need of a rebuild. Rather than rebuild this, I am thinking of going the route of getting a used Steggy or POSI (if I can find one) blower.
Question is: I have a new 4 piece idler set and a 2lb lower pulley. If I had a stage 6/7 Steggy (or POSI) eaton, is it feasible to hit 500WHP with a 2.93 Upper and 2lb lower, or do I need to have a 2.76 pulley to ensure this?
(the reason I ask is because I have Red idlers and am trying to get a matching colored pulley but not easy finding many redfire billetflow 2.76s)

PS the motor in the car is in perfect health with good compression across all cylinders. Car also has KB BAP, 60lb injectors, JLT CAI, stock headers with OR X pipe.

carguy96

Established Member
To play devil's advocate...what's your budget? You might want to look into finding a used 2.3 blower.

I go back and forth on this on a daily basis. The money is there... but not sure if I should be spending Whipple money when the extra should probably be going towards my other financial obligations.
Recently I see people asking pretty big money for 2.3 blowers, and I would even be ok with a 2.2KB but people ask a lot for those as well.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The 2.2 is a whole other beast. There's a cult following for that one.

My opinion, if theres a chance you'll ever want more than 500 get a bigger blower. With a ported eaton you're maxed around 500. With a 2.3 the party is barely starting at 500. With lots of room to grow. The fact that you're debating it makes me think you'll want more eventually.

carguy96

Established Member
The 2.2 is a whole other beast. There's a cult following for that one.

My opinion, if theres a chance you'll ever want more than 500 get a bigger blower. With a ported eaton you're maxed around 500. With a 2.3 the party is barely starting at 500. With lots of room to grow. The fact that you're debating it makes me think you'll want more eventually.

If I were to come across a 2.2KB or a 2.3 blower for a reasonable price I would go for it.
What's the deal with the 2.2KB blowers? I have seen some people get up to 600HP or more with all the supporting mods, but most I see don't make too much more than a max effort Eaton.
And for right now I am good with 500WHP as more than this starts requiring other expensive modifications. Eventually I think I see turbos in my future if I would like big power.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The 2.2 is also known as the screamer. Everyone likes it because it's loud under boost. But the design wasn't that great and it creates a lot of heat. So the ones that want it generally want it for the sound. For power there are other (better) choices out there.

Whatever mods you'll need for a bigger blower you'll also need for the ported eaton. You're looking at least at bigger injectors and MAF for the ported blower. My buddy did ok with the stock Cobra pumps on his stage 4, but last time we datalogged they were maxed. Some get away without a boost a pump or bigger pumps and others need it.

carguy96

Established Member
The 2.2 is also known as the screamer. Everyone likes it because it's loud under boost. But the design wasn't that great and it creates a lot of heat. So the ones that want it generally want it for the sound. For power there are other (better) choices out there.

Whatever mods you'll need for a bigger blower you'll also need for the ported eaton. You're looking at least at bigger injectors and MAF for the ported blower. My buddy did ok with the stock Cobra pumps on his stage 4, but last time we datalogged they were maxed. Some get away without a boost a pump or bigger pumps and others need it.

Well I already have the KB BAP and 60lb injectors and SCTBA2600 MAF. Eventually if I were to move to a bigger blower I had planned doing a return style fuel system. But that is down the line.
When I had my car dyno tuned, my tuner said that the BAP was barely being utilized at this time so I have some head room as my duty cycle is not close to being maxed out right now.

carguy96

Established Member
IMO you're already set for a 2.3. I'd save my pennies. That's just me though.

A friend of mine may be building his motor for a big turbo soon, if so I may have a chance to get his whipple for a good price so I will hold off on buying a ported Eaton just yet.

Would still like to know the answer to my original question.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The answer to your original question depends in large part on your custom tune. And assuming that you'd be using 93 octane fuel. You should be able to hit 500rwhp with a 2.93 upper, 2 lb. lower and a good tune.

O1snake

I made 584/630 on a 2.7 upper and 4LB lower on E85 through a ported Eaton. but i am planning to do a Whipple later this year. if you have the money now for a KB/Whipple upgrade i would defiantly go that route.

FastNick01

Established Member
I'm sure Lethal performance can get you a redfire billetflow 2.76. For ref, take a look at my previous combos

stage 4 steig, k&N, stock tb with 2.8 upper made 497rwhp, tq upper 480+ can't remember exactly 93
stage 4 steig JLT RAI, Ported posi inlet/dragon with 2.9/6lb lower made 520rwhp/560rwtq E85

I would honestly take the time to save for a bigger blower. No sense in spending the money multiple times for re-tunes or hassle to get dyno for different setups etc... Best of luck to you

carguy96

Established Member
I'm sure Lethal performance can get you a redfire billetflow 2.76. For ref, take a look at my previous combos

stage 4 steig, k&N, stock tb with 2.8 upper made 497rwhp, tq upper 480+ can't remember exactly 93
stage 4 steig JLT RAI, Ported posi inlet/dragon with 2.9/6lb lower made 520rwhp/560rwtq E85

I would honestly take the time to save for a bigger blower. No sense in spending the money multiple times for re-tunes or hassle to get dyno for different setups etc... Best of luck to you

I appreciate the input, and looks like you got some good numbers from your combos. I am not trying to create a number of different combinations for my Eaton setup, just one solid setup for the time being. And unfortunately, I cannot justify spending the money at this time for a bigger blower and other parts I will end up needing (trans input shaft and some other things).

I did also look on LMR's site, and it does not appear that they carry any colors other than the black and silver anodized finish. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread