Ported Boss KO's Ported Stocker in 2nd round

4VFTW

Established Member
Ported Stocker best pass out of 5 in 1650' d/a...
IMAG0490_zpsba298ee8.jpg

this was at the time the highest mph ever for my car.

Ported Boss best out of 2 passes in 1600' d/a...other pass was a [email protected]
IMAG0495_zps735e2ff1.jpg

unported Boss in 1700' d/a and 50lbs heavier...
IMAG0469_zps1ae7a697.jpg

this was the highest mph ever for the unported Boss

so cliff notes are that the Ported Boss gained 1.65mph over the unported Boss and 1.92mph over the ported Stocker.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
How/who ported the boss? You definitely gained with the porting.

I ported it myself , I have been porting Intakes for years...mostly pushrod and B/C head modular Intakes and a couple Eatons, but the same principles apply here.

as far as what was ported , I reduced and blended the very large injector bulges in the Boss IM and removed the triangular bumps on either side of the bulge. I also removed the fins from the TB opening then enlarged it to match my 85mm TB and blended it back into the plenum.

I could feel the motor was stronger as soon as I took the car out for a test drive , the tach was noticeably quicker to hit redline.

Last edited:

BPatterson

Established Member
I felt the exact same increases in my car after I ported my Boss IM. Definitely one of the best free mods I've done.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Does anyone know of a how to of porting a boss intake? Im thing about doing this over the winter.

04compgt

Established Member
Good testing right there. I need to go port my Boss intake, the only thing I did was removed the fins and the bump behind it. I need to work on the runners maybe I can pick up a little bit! Cold weather and you should be trapping 120 or so. Good job!

twistedneck

Established Member
4VFTW can you post up some intake pics? [If it will help anyone this is my Boss Intake port view.

boss-intake.jpg

Very minimal work, left the whiskers alone. Porting was done by Steve at Vector Motorsports.

4VFTW

Established Member
4VFTW can you post up some intake pics? [If it will help anyone this is my Boss Intake port view.

boss-intake.jpg

Very minimal work, left the whiskers alone. Porting was done by Steve at Vector Motorsports.
I didn't take any pics because I lack a camera that can produce decent resolution inside the port. looking at your picture I would say I took the injector boss down a bit farther and removed the angular "eyebrows" on the sides then blended down into the port.

here is a cell phone pic of the ported Stocker port...the Boss ports look very similar now:
IMAG0476_zps187771fa.jpg

IMAG0473_zps41c18c5d.jpg

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I didn't take any pics because I lack a camera that can produce decent resolution inside the port. looking at your picture I would say I took the injector boss down a bit farther and removed the angular "eyebrows" on the sides then blended down into the port.

here is a cell phone pic of the ported Stocker port...the Boss ports look very similar now:
IMAG0476_zps187771fa.jpg

IMAG0473_zps41c18c5d.jpg

That looks really good, that's what my CJ looked like after smoothing it out and removing most of the injector bosses.

Also good test data :beer:

-Thomas

4VFTW

Established Member
That looks really good, that's what my CJ looked like after smoothing it out and removing most of the injector bosses.

Also good test data :beer:

-Thomas

Thanks for the useful info. Did you re-tune for the Boss manifold?
I had an existing Boss tune that I ran , no special changes needed for the porting.

4VFTW

Established Member
How did the runner shape match up to the head?

I didn't really change the shape of the opening much if any so it should line up as well as an unported intake. How well they match even stock is tough to tell because of the design its not like you can gasket match...but I'm working on a solution to that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread