Ported Blower noisey at idle...

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
what do cobra3.JPG
Just got my motor build done.
Car runs great, Motor is quiet and smoth. But the blowers a bit to noisey at idle for my liking. The car came with a home ported blower. I bought the car not running.

Some one said ported blowers where nosiey at idle. (Normal)
I not sure if I buy that! (I never had a ported blower)
What do you guys with ported blowers have to say about that?
Thanks for your imput...
MB

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It might have the snake bite kit that was popular for a bit. That's the only ported blower I've heard that's loud at idle. All the rest were quiet as stock.

Is your bypass hooked up? Had a buddy that the installer never connected the bypass for some reason so his was making boost noises when it shouldn't.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Describe the noise? Whine? Bearing type noise? Can you post a video with the sound?

Too bad you don't know who ported it. You're sure it was home ported vs. done by a porting service shop?

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
Pulled the blower today, pulled the snout and rotors out for inspection. Hmm found front snout bearing bad... I will replace it with a snout rebuit kit.

The blower housing looks to be in great shape. No scaring and the rotors look to be in great shape. Porting job looks good too.
Sooo I will put it back on the car and see what shakes loose..

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
Replaced the snout bearing and seals, same noise.
Sound like a rotational growly type noise.
Friend of mine said he had a ported blower some time ago that had the same sound, and ran it for years with no problem. He thinks it's normal sound for a ported blower.

I'm going to put the car up for sale soon and don't feel good about selling it like this if that's not normal.
Has any one had a similar ported blower noise?
(rotational growly type noise at idle)
Thanks MB

CobraSam

Established Member
You might have to post a video. I feel like my Eaton, ported by stiegemeier, is a bit “growly” at idle as well. Car is at my buddies shop getting work so I can’t give you a video to compare.
I’m new to the terminator, but one thing I remember nothing when I first got my car was that exact noise.
I also have a F1C ProCharger Foxbody, so I remember making comparisons on the different style blowers, in my head.

Assaulter

Retired Military
Established Member
I initially ran a Steig Stage 4 ported blower on my 04 Cobra. No additional noises at idle, quiet as stock.....but it did scream at WOT. Can't speak for the Snakebite kits though.

Users who are viewing this thread