Portable Car Wash filtration for hard water

thndr8

Established Member
The only thing I hate about road tripping across the country to see my parents is washing my car when I get there. Their water comes from a well and is super hard. By the time I get back home, I almost have to re-correct my paint and put down some more sealant to make the paint smooth again. I use CQuartz on my car. I haven't tried any systems yet, but I've come across some basic resin filtration systems. One is an inline filter that attaches to the garden hose and is good for about 20 washes for $30. Another was a bag of resin that sat in a bucket and you ran the hose through it. I'm not looking to break the bank for those roll around dual filters for $400, I just want to wash my car there every once in awhile. Anyone have any tricks or come across something that's decent to use?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Talk them into getting a water softener. That will also benefit THEM because softened water is better for their skin. Water softeners provide other benefits, as well.

thndr8

Established Member
They have a water softener. The garden hose is on a separate line. There are no other hookups for a garden hose in the entire house, I've looked.
Talk them into getting a water softener. That will also benefit THEM because softened water is better for their skin. Water softeners provide other benefits, as well.

5.0Black

Established Member
They have a water softener. The garden hose is on a separate line. There are no other hookups for a garden hose in the entire house, I've looked.
That sucks, and to do any modifications would be more costly than a CR unit for them. If it were me I would do a CR unit, but I know in your original post it is not in your price range. There are some knock off's of the CR unit by companies like aquatic life that go for a significantly cheaper price when compared to CR. I can't speak for those units as I have never used it, but it would be a cheaper option. Another option could be inquiring with local self service bays to see if they have any filtration systems for their water. In the event that they do, bring your own products and towels to give your car a proper cleaning. Finally, as a last resort, don't clean your car until you get home where your water is better. I know it can be frustrating having a dirty car after a long drive, but often it can be better to just wait till you can give your car a proper cleaning.

DaveWertz

Established Member
I swear by the MR. Clean spot free rinse that you attach to your garden hose. I to have clay like looking hard water at my house. Both my Cobra and Harley are black so I know all about the water stains. I gave one of these a try and wow!!

5.0Black

Established Member
I swear by the MR. Clean spot free rinse that you attach to your garden hose. I to have clay like looking hard water at my house. Both my Cobra and Harley are black so I know all about the water stains. I gave one of these a try and wow!!
I remember using that as a kid with my Dad growing up for a little bit, forgot all about those lol. I thought they discontinued the soap, refills and units back in 2010?

DaveWertz

Established Member
I remember using that as a kid with my Dad growing up for a little bit, forgot all about those lol. I thought they discontinued the soap, refills and units back in 2010?
I can still find them all over. I don't use the soap just the spot free rinse action. Get a couple refill filters and it will last a good bit of years

DaveWertz

Established Member
Id like to note that Adams has a nice compact portable water filtration for around 150? I have no experience with it but I would assume it works well

Users who are viewing this thread