port matching throttle body to upper intake

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I have been running a BBK twin 65MM throttle body for a couple years and I'm finally ready to port match it to the upper intake.

Before I do so, I'd like to hear some feedback from those who have done it already. I'm curious to know what the gains are with a larger TB both before and after port matching.

Because the holes in the upper intake are only as large as the original TB, I doubt there is much to gain without enlarging these holes. I'm guessing that the mismatch between the size of the TB and upper intake is causing turbulence, restriction, and perhaps higher IAT temps.

I know the 03-04 cobras and other positive displacement setups can gain large amounts of power with TB's and porting. I'm curious to know if centri & turbo setups have as much to gain or are as sensitive to these types of modifications as PD setups are, given the location of the throttle body to the power adder.

Taking this a step further, is there anyone with a power adder who has upgraded the throttle body and port matched the intake?

zPipes

Established Member
Call over to Excessive Motorsports in winter springs. He may also have some good input for you. I had this guy do some work on my car and just from bein over there and talking to him, he knows his shit and does alot of mustang work. Ive also called him for advice and he helped without reservation.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Cool, I'll give them a ring. I spoke with LaMotta's in Longwood a while back, they said they could do it for $100 which is a damn good deal IMO.

Although head porting is way beyond my skill level, I'm pretty sure I'm good enough with the die grinder to be able to port match the upper intake myself. (Unless there's some specific technique I need to know about... anyone? ).

I just want to know if it's worth the time or money and whether or not I'll need a retune.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You will gain no power. The only combos that gain power are those that draw air through the TB such as PD blowers.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
You will gain no power. The only combos that gain power are those that draw air through the TB such as PD blowers.

That's kinda what I expected. I know the PD blowers are real sensitive to inlet restrictions before the blower but this isn't an inlet restriction before the blower.

We'll just see what we'll see...won't we.

Users who are viewing this thread