Popping sound, mounts? FIX

768MPH

Established Member
Like many others, I wanted that lower look. After many thread searches and advice from others, I choose BMR springs and BMR PHB adj.

I didn't upgrade the struts/shocks because I only had 1000 miles on the odometer.
Well, I developed a "popping" sound over speed bumps and driving down semi rough roads. The "popping" sound of a pickle jar top (sealed/unopened). I expected this and ran through the trouble shooting list:

-sway bar end links (checked twice)
-strut mount nut (tighten with impact)
-strut mounts (didn't separate)

(Sigh) Had to be the mounts....

Or so I thought. I looked under the car and noticed run marks on the springs, contact points. Didn't think anything of it.
Fast forward to 2700 miles. Went to install 2012 Shelby GT500 struts/shocks/mounts (transfer BMR springs over) and noticed those wear marks actually took the paint off the Spring.

Got me thinking, maybe it's the spring coils hitting each other developing that sound.
Took some isolators off some old G8 GT springs I had and wrapped the coil where the contact areas were. Thought, "what the hell, let's just see"

Wheels down, time to drive.
SUCCESS!!! Noise gone!

For those that think their mounts are gone, it may not be the case. Look underneath and see of you have contact areas on 2-3 coil.

Last edited:

768MPH

Established Member
Before to show contact area. See the mark where paint is missing on 3rd coil?
1969398_10152513351986719_8516748012676229982_n.jpg

Then isolator wrapped around the 3rd coil to cushion the sound.
10336742_10152513372081719_3181113038990883295_n.jpg

Last edited:

stroked mach

Established Member
yea mine done it when I would give it gas but just sometimes would this be the prob you think I been looking at new mounts lol

768MPH

Established Member
Actually just checked mine. No marks. I even removed the steeda springs and out the stock ones back.

Did you check all other areas? Everything torqued to spec (with jack underneath to take load off suspension)? Blue loctite on Sway bar end links? Did you mounts separate when you changed them out?

This happened to fix my issue, if it does not fix yours there is something else wrong.

Clipboard

Established Member
has anyone else had success doing this? i have a popping/buckling sound from the front right (mm cc plates/bmr/koni yellow

draxxus131

Established Member
has anyone else had success doing this? i have a popping/buckling sound from the front right (mm cc plates/bmr/koni yellow

Did you torque the bolts after you let the suspension settle? That usually is the main cause to popping noises after doing suspension mods.

Users who are viewing this thread