"popping" sound in front suspension

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
My '99 with 84k miles has had a popping sound in the suspension/steering for a while now. It happens at slow speed, such as when pulling into my driveway, parking, etc. It rides and feels normal at high speed.

I assumed it was old and/or worn out suspension parts, so I just replaced the balljoints and struts, and added castor/camber plates (Maximum Motorsports). After I did this, the popping sound seems worse and happens more often, but still only at slow speed.

I had already installed aluminum steering rack bushings and Eibach springs a while ago. The only part of the suspension/steering that I can think of left to change would be the steering rag joint. Am I overlooking something?

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I installed new bushings in the control arms, too, when I replaced the balljoints and struts.

I went back under the car with a prybar to try to find anything loose. Turns out the steering rack bolts weren't as tight as they could have been. I torqued them down some more and the problem is gone.

What an idiot!

Users who are viewing this thread