Popping a 5000 amp fuse...

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Question for the SVTP electrical engineers, what the **** uses a 5000 amp fuse? This was on my recommendation as well.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Question for the SVTP electrical engineers, what the **** uses a 5000 amp fuse? This was on my recommendation as well.

Not one but interested. My guess something with a giant electric motor and mobile (crane?). Essentially something you need huge power but cant have honking transformers to play with the voltage. Honestly, usually makes more sense economically to break the system down smaller pieces.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Thats a lot of amps...considering your average ski lift runs on 600 or 900amp service

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Cities. Trains. Power generation plants, to protect the alternators. Arc furnaces. Incoming power to critical places like major hospitals, radar installations, laboratories, military bases. You'd be surprised at how many are out there.

Fun electrical fact: according to theory, when a component arcs, voltage drops to zero as current rises to infinity. Current creates heat. That's why the big bang when this fuse lets go. In reality, something always happens to limit the current, like losses to heat and resistance, etc. But for the critical moments of failure, that's the way things are heading: voltage to 0, current to infinity.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrical engineer, either.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, thanks for posting this. Awesome demonstration! I was literally having heart palpitations from panic as he was assembling those capacitor banks! I was relieved like crazy when I saw he was using shorting bars up until go-time.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Cities. Trains. Power generation plants, to protect the alternators. Arc furnaces. Incoming power to critical places like major hospitals, radar installations, laboratories, military bases. You'd be surprised at how many are out there.

Fun electrical fact: according to theory, when a component arcs, voltage drops to zero as current rises to infinity. Current creates heat. That's why the big bang when this fuse lets go. In reality, something always happens to limit the current, like losses to heat and resistance, etc. But for the critical moments of failure, that's the way things are heading: voltage to 0, current to infinity.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrical engineer, either.

Not to tell you what you already know but that's why I prefer the term potential difference over voltage.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
OP, thanks for posting this. Awesome demonstration! I was literally having heart palpitations from panic as he was assembling those capacitor banks! I was relieved like crazy when I saw he was using shorting bars up until go-time.
Dude certainly has a solid set of danglers

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member

We have stuff like this at work and larger. I do large scale water pipeline maintenance and with that comes hydro electric power. You should see some of the circuit breakers out there, they’re the size of a gun safe. We have fused disconnect switches with arc whips to make sure the current breaks because it has the potential to make the jump even after the switch opens. Walking thru the switch yards and hearing the electricity humming always humbles me. I take my readings and gtfo. I don’t hang around in there any longer than necessary. The plants I work around are baby generators too, only producing around 2-4 mW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not one but interested. My guess something with a giant electric motor and mobile (crane?). Essentially something you need huge power but cant have honking transformers to play with the voltage. Honestly, usually makes more sense economically to break the system down smaller pieces.

This is correct. That is a low voltage time-delay fuse. Most commonly used for protecting motors. A fuse like this would be used for over-current protection for something around 2000 HP @ 600 V. So a set of three fuses, one per phase, would be used ahead of a contactor or reduced voltage starter feeding the motor. Most folks wouldn't run 2000 HP at low voltage nor would they try to start this sucker across the line. This would be a medium voltage application. But these goofy things are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread