"Pop"/"Thud" when putting tranny in 1st gear...

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Just as the subject states, I've been getting a light pop or thud coming from underneath the car when I put the car in first gear after coming to a stop. Like say for instance at a light if I'm in neutral then put it in first it'll pop. If I put it back in neutral I can go thru all the gears (even back into first) just fine w/o any other noises. There are no noises while driving and it has never popped out of gear. It has 34,000 on the clock. Anysuggestions? Synchros maybe?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
definitely normal. after i swapped to solid it has become a more subtle clunk, instead of the bomb like sound with the irs.

omj

Established Member
I get a clunk when going over speed bumps. Any idea what this could be? I have the front crossmember brace and the steeda diff braces. Also, I quit having the drivetrain thud when I rebuilt my rearend and used a tighter backlash.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
a way to avoid it is, when you come to a stop, depress clutch and shift into neutral (while you're sitting there...don't leave it in gear with clutch depressed...it wears out TOBs quicker). Before putting it into first, depress clutch and pull toward second very softly...not enough to get it into second, but just a tug. Then it will slide right into first without the clunk...

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i don't see how having the clutch depressed while its in gear will wear the TOB more than if the clutch is depressed with it in neutral.

When the clutch is depressed, there is no contact (direct or indirect) with the transmission...

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
Doug,

In gear, out of gear, it doesn't matter...when the clutch is disengaged (pedal to the floor) the TOB is engaged. That's when they work, and when they're working, they wear out...

edit:
After re-reading my post, I understand your resopnse. It wasn't crystal clear...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread