Pop/Grind in transmission or rear-end upon driving after being parked in gear

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I recently rebuilt my 8.8 IRS differential and ever since I put everything back on the car I get a nasty sounding "pop/clunk/grind" noise coming from either the transmission or the rear end. It happens when I've left my Cobra parked in my garage and left in gear (usually left in 4th) for a few days. As soon as I put the car in gear and begin to drive it out of the garage, it hesitates for a minute as if something is holdin it back, like I'm pressing on the brakes, then finally releases with a nasty sounding clunk or pop. It sounds like it's coming from the rear end mostly. I rebuilt everything to Ford spec using the IRS rebuild guide, so the backlast and preload is all correct. Only thing I used that wasn't a FRPP part was a Ratech "smart sleeve" instead of the crush collar. Once I'm driving, and I park it at the store etc. and get back in it to drive, it acts fine, no noise or grinding. I put about 1.5 bottles of fluid in the rear. It never poured out of the full plug (factory cover) because I didn't want to overfill it and have it blow out of the vent tube. Any ideas what's up? Did I not put enough fluid in the rear and maybe with it sitting for a while the ring and pinion gets dry from runoff and causing it to do this due to lack of lube? Just throwing this out there.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

blacksheep-1

Established Member
sounds like it might be the parking brake hanging up, leave it off and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes, when the car is hot or real damp the brake shoes will "glue" themselves to the rotor, acting as you have described.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I'll give it a shot. Hopefully that's all it is. I would hate to crack the case open again.

Users who are viewing this thread