PoorBoy's SSR 2.5 is'nt that good

trance_in_miami

Established Member
I waxed two cars this week. My gf's black v6 and my burgandi gt. the ssr did not work. But it did take out few scratches. I then stayed about 5 minutes on a spot that was bad. But still not good results. But not enough to brag about. i was not that impressed.

i clayed the car. then i used ssr with a cutting pad. then used Vanilla moose. then the carnuba wax , clearkote products. the shine was :thumbsup: AWESOME :banana: very very shiny :coolman: but the ssr 2.5 was not that good.

what other steps can i take to remove it. It In the end i still had some spider webs and scratches.. should i try the 3.0 SSR ?

NXGHOST

Established Member
What machine were you using? SSR2.5 on Black will not remove all. Its not that SSR2.5 wasn't "Good", its that you may need SSR3 or more heat. Many black cars need rotary's. "SSR2.5 isnt that good" is a bogus statement. "I am unexperienced" would be a more accurate statment. Give us the details and we can help.

Try using SSR3 with a Polishing Pad (White pad). DO NOT use SSR3 with a cutting pad. SSR3 on a polishing pad is much more aggresive than SSR2.5/orange pad.

10thTerminator

Established Member
For me Mequairs #83 removes swirls no guesstions asked. I just don't think the pb's stuff is that agressive. I have not used the ssr 3 only 2

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
what pad were you using the SSR2.5 with? Are you sure you worked it in properly?

My car is black and I have absolutely no complaints re: SSR.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
i used the Pc and a an orange cutting pad. It does not take an expert to put a maching on a car and just move it around the surface :bash: . I know im new at this. but i have read :read: enough to know what i'm doing. I pressed down and let the maching roll for about 5 minutes on the scratches and @ speed # 5 thrn tried 4 but , it took some out. But not enough to please me. :nonono:

WIll number ssr 3 be to aggresive?

spree

Established Member
and you worked it in until it almost disappeared? In some areas where your scratches/swirls are really really bad, you'll have to do it again 2 or 3 times to take care of it...but, SSR2.5 has never failed me.

You won't really get what you need out of SSR3 without a rotary.

Scott P

Established Member
There may have been some hazing left behind by the cuttting pad and SSR2.5. Did you follow up with the polishing pad with 2.5? Cutting pads sometime will leave hazing, which looks like spider-webbing. A pass or two with the polishing pad and 2.5 should take care of that.

SSR3 is pretty much a body shop grade product that really needs a rotary to break down.

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
spree said:
and you worked it in until it almost disappeared? In some areas where your scratches/swirls are really really bad, you'll have to do it again 2 or 3 times to take care of it...but, SSR2.5 has never failed me.

You won't really get what you need out of SSR3 without a rotary.
Do you know of any videos that teach detailing? I do not want to make a mess of my paint as I have in the past with previous cars.

NXGHOST

Established Member
Scott P said:
SSR3 is pretty much a body shop grade product that really needs a rotary to break down.

Try SSR3 with a Polishing pad. Its more aggresive than SSR2.5/Cutting Pad and it breaks down with a PC and a polishing pad. SSR3/Cutting Pad/Porter Cable is not recommended.

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
spree said:
these are pretty good. Don't worry, you won't mess anything up with a porter cable and the proper pads.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/

Hey thanks for all your help! I have a couple light scratches and a bad one from the dealer. It appears they had some crap in there mit or shammy. What do u suggest? I also have some dirt in my paint. I tried a clay bar and it helped. I got a little excited and clounded the paint where one of the scratches is with the claybar:( So pls advise:)

Users who are viewing this thread